Slackware is freaking fantastic

andres9606t

Weaksauce
I've been using Slackware for a while now at home, but I just set up a server with it for the first time at work (I'm doing computer engineering research, and we needed an upgrade). I cannot express how smoothly the changeover went, or how well the new server is performing. It's easy to administer, secure, and just plain awesome. Sorry about the rant, I just had to get that off my chest. :cool:

I wish I could figure out how to install slackware - I think I forked up the install twice now :(

You make it sound like it is installing Redhat or something...?

It is confusing for a newbie

When I first started with Linux back in the Slackware 7 days I tried Slackware then Red Hat. I thought the Slackware install was a whole lot easier. Probably the hardest part of the slackware install is just picking which packages to install. Even then you can just pick a full install and it installs everything.

Question -

Going to throw this on my a machine [Slackware 10]

As I am reading the install help guide, LINK
It says I need a boot disk :confused: - I just downloaded the ISO's to CD, does this mean in order to sucessfully install Slackware 10 I need a 3.5" drive too?

The install is just kind of scary for noobs ;)

nahh you dont need a floppy... the cd will boot...

The install isnt really anything to be scared of... I would say the hardest part is knowing how to partition everything...

carloswill said:
Question -

Going to throw this on my a machine [Slackware 10]

As I am reading the install help guide, LINK
It says I need a boot disk :confused: - I just downloaded the ISO's to CD, does this mean in order to sucessfully install Slackware 10 I need a 3.5" drive too?

The install is just kind of scary for noobs ;)

No, the CDs are bootable. The install guide is kind of old. It's really quite easy to install (I find the install much easier/faster than Redhat and Mandrake), although it might be intimidating to someone who's never used Linux/Unix before.

DiZASTiX said:
carlos: you might want to also check out this very detailed guide to install slack:

http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/showthread.php?postid=311808

happy slackin ;)

Yes, I did find that via a google search & will give that a shot.

I just wanted to ask you what I should expect?

I am not very strong with Linux commands and am very happy with the simplicity of Fedora distro but wanted to try something else. It was a toss up between slackware & gentoo.

I just was told that gentoo is very stripped down basic install OS that I need to compile
to my own liking.

Myself hardly beeing able to un-tar something, "compile" is a very scary word for a "noob" like me.

Just want to know what to expect from Slackware & if it is for someone like me. :confused:

carloswill said:
Yes, I did find that via a google search & will give that a shot.

I just wanted to ask you what I should expect?

I am not very strong with Linux commands and am very happy with the simplicity of Fedora distro but wanted to try something else. It was a toss up between slackware & gentoo.

I just was told that gentoo is very stripped down basic install OS that I need to compile
to my own liking.

Myself hardly beeing able to un-tar something, "compile" is a very scary word for a "noob" like me.

Just want to know what to expect from Slackware & if it is for someone like me. :confused:

It will take getting used to but I am sure you will be able to do it, slack makes you get your hand a bit more dirty than other distros. It was the first distro I installed and I managed to get it to work so you should be able to also. That guide is a great rescource. When you do get it to run, just play around with it and you will learn more...Good luck :)

Back