slackware install - no floppy drive ??

hellomcfly

Limp Gawd
well im planning to install slackware 10 .. just downloaded and burned the 2 cd's .. problem is .. i just looked over the install guide .. and it says i need a floppy drive and this computer does not have one ..... any ideas ??

I installed it, but never used my floppy drive once. I don't think the install would stop because of that. It's probably just so that you could create a boot disk, but that is optional.

sweet . ill give it a shot :D just need to whipe out my old backup drive and im good to go !

bahh .. why why o why did i have to be raised on microsoft windowsssss

ok so i thought i could do it .. but i messed it up .. i tryed installing it without setting up a swap part. because i could not get it to make one for some reason i read the help file :( so i figured ahh screw it .. i have a gig of ram i should be ok .. it went on installing ...

finished installing .. i restart and log in ... start x .. solid blackscreen .. hurray i stink

the drive i was using is 20gigs = 20020.33 to be exact so i need to figure out what a good partition combo would be ..

also i picked ext2 file system with the default inode 4096 .. good ??

:mad: i dont like being a linux newbie .. so hard to train your mind to not think windows. hopefully i will be able to make the switch 100% ..

If you get a solid black screen, most likely your xorg.conf file isn't completely correct, but usually if that's the case, it should quickly crash back to console and spit out some messages.

Linux will try to use as much memory as possible. I've touched swap partition very little, but it's always a good idea ot have one.

Also, while ext2 is still good for a file system, I'd rather use a newer, journalled file system. I personally really like ReiserFS and ext3 (ext2 + journalling). ReiserFS moreso.

XFS is also a good one, but I think it's not very good in terms of crash recovery, but I have no idea. I haven't used it much.

I'm pretty sure slack uses cfdisk for creating partitions. I had no luck usuing regular fdisk + swapon to create a partition, I could only do it with cfdisk. I would do this.
Swap - 512MB
System - the rest

If you use cfdisk, you don't need to type in swapon, just choose type from your menu for a partition and use swap for the 512 and ext2 or 3 for the rest. Should be fine after that.

I usually make both swap and system primary. Then when you choose "TYPE" you can make the swap, well swap and the system whatever you want.

I don't know what inode is. I'd say go for ext2 or ext3.

hellomcfly said:
thanks !

and then for file system ? should i do ext2 with inode 4096 ??
I would recomend EXT3, since it adds the journalizing feature, which helps.

at the very least, use ext3. ReiserFS is pretty much the standard for most of the "easy install" linuxes that doen't give you a choice. ReiserFS is faster accessing midrange sized files (100KB or so) ext3 is faster with tiny files (10 KB or so). i believe inode refers to a cluster size on the hard drive. the default would be fine.

Briguy, you have the two a little mixed up.

ReiserFS gives excellent performance with really small files (< 4 KB), and pretty good performance with all others.

ext3 is itself also a very great, stable fs, but it's performance with smaller files is not quite as good as ReiserFS's (especially if notail is specified for a ReiserFS partition under fstab).

Also, about inodes, from what I remember from Operating Systems class. An inode is a data structure that stores information about files and directories under a Unix filesystem, such as owner, permissions, last modified, etc.

I have no idea what this inode 4096 business is though.

BillLeeLee said:
Briguy, you have the two a little mixed up.
ah crap. applogies to the forum. i suffer from sophomoric knowledge of linux... i know enough to think i know a fair amount, but not enough to know i know little.

Back