Single Slot 5900nus? Source for 9800np?

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been looking over specs the last couple hours and I haven't had much luck finding physical specs for these things. My mobo's got a pair of 64-bit slots. They're right next to the AGP slot and I need both of them, so I need a single slot vid card.
I've been sorta thinking about a Gainward Golden Sample 5900nu... that's about as high as I'd go. The MSI version looks alright (has 2.2 ram from what I've read), but it's got the power connector turned the wrong way so it'd probably hit my scsi card, and I still don't know if either of them will actually fit in one slot & not overheat.

At this point I'd just say screw it and get a 9800np, but I can't seem to find any, at least not from a place I'd want to buy one from. $270 for a 9800pro is a bit more than I really want to cough up.

i dont see any 9800pro's for under $265

gainwards 128mb 5900nu 1200XP uses the 2.2ns ram its at newegg for $229
asus has a real nice 1 slot cooling solution but its up in the $270 range as well but it does come with 3 games which is what drives the price up, same with the msi, which has the best cooling.
leadtech 5900nu also uses the 2.2ns ram and its $220 at newegg it has a good cooling but it might have trouble cooling in a tight space

I suggest the Gainward 5900nu, although it doesn't have to be the Golden Sample as you hinted towards, if you don't want to spend that much. The regular Gainward 5900nu @ 400/850 is a monster OCer and will go beyond a 5950 (got up to 540/1000 stable). It is also one of the cooler running cards, and is very well made.

Just FYI for you.

I emailed Gainward & MSI. We'll see if they bother replying.

I saw what I think is a bulk version of the MSI for ~$205 on pricewatch, but I'm going to have to find out how long these cards are before I can consider it. The power connector on the MSI points down instead of toward the front of the case.

Could someone measure a 5900 nu for me (I figure they're all the same size right?) and tell me how long it is? I think the MSI one will fit if it's at least 1/2 an inch longer than my FC-AL card.

I'll have a look at the Asus. If it's got a bunch of games I want I'll consider it. If not or I've already got them I'd rather have a 9800pro at that price.

the asus has 3 full version games: Blackhawk Down, Battle Engine Aquilla, and Gun Metal

it also has a few game demos, not sure which ones though

Back