Single Fan 80mm radiator anyone?

GnG

Limp Gawd
I dont have alot of room in my micro-atx case and 80mm radiator is about the best i can do... and all i want to water cool is my cpu.. so will a sigle 80mm radiator do it for me?? is anyone running one of these right now like the Black Ice Micro or the Swiftech 80mm .. ? I want to be able to overclock as much as possible.. so if anyone is using either of these radiators can you post what you think about them or possible post temps.. i cant find any reviews on these radiators...

Thanks for the help

A single-80 radiator is at right at the edge of adequate. It can keep a CPU relatively cool, but you won't have the quiet or the overclock-potential of a larger rad. Surface area is what counts in a radiator, and a single-80 doesn't have much. A single-120 has twice the surface area, the heatercore I use has six times as much.

If you can't add at least a second single-80 into your case, you might think about an external box or some serious case mods.

ahhh....how thick can you allow for the radiator? I had a 92mm all copper radiator made for me to my spec, actually, the overall size is 4" square and 2" thick. With a slow and quiet 92mm fan on each side it is very adequate for cooling my Barton running at 2395mhz. A local radiator shop made it for me for $40.00.

In your case if you had one made that was 80mm square and however thick you want, put the fan pulling air through the rad, you should get decent cooling.

sometimes custom is, well.....custom.

well i think i figured out what i am going to do... i am going to put the Black Ice Micro 2 thats the dual 80mm radiator i am going to put it on the outside back of my case so then i will have enough room... cuz all i have to work with on my case is a spot on the back that is 4" X 7.75" so that dual micro will just fit on the back... and i was thinking about just putting a 120mm heater core on the back.. but i realy dont want it to hang off the side.. i just hope the dual 80mm will do the job... its ok to put the radiator on the out side of the case right?? and a higer cfm fan will be better... like if i stuck 2 80mm tornados on there that would help with the cooling better right??

and is it bad to put a radiator on the outside of a case or something??

heyheyhey: what heater core do you have??

Outside the case is okay for a radiator. Better, maybe, if it's getting lots of fresh air.

heyheyhey, pictures?

while technically 2 80mm tornados would work better, the noise probably wouldn't be worth it. i would know; i had an 80 and a 92 in the same machine once. not fun. really really freaking loud, tho. i'd go with something like 2 panaflo fans, such as the m1a's. they push decent air for their noise level. they are also thinner than the tornados, so the radiator would stick out less.

and heyheyhey - we need pics.

A radiator outside your case might help a little because it's around cooler air and can let out its heat more easily in general. One thing I'd do if you have an external radiator is put fan grills on it, you don't want anything coming up and puncturing it and screwing things up. :)

You can make your own box outta plexi for the radiator...that will offset a bit of the awkwardness of having a radiator hanging outta your case...and yes, an external radiator is many times better b/c the heat from within the case does not affect the radiator

Back