SID to watch out for..

Big Worm

2[H]4U
With the new prescotts on the horizon, They are running around 1.3v right?

Should people watch out for SID again? I assume lower vcore = lower limits then northwood.

Northwood 1.5ish vcore - Max ~1.7 before dieing out.
Prescott 1.3ish vcore - Max ~1.55 before SIDS???

Something to watch out for when we get our new prescotts.

My 1.6a is going strong in the basement for 13 months now Running F@H 2.88ghz @ 1.9v.

I laugh at your SNDS!!!!

Sudden intel death syndrome, I bet your 1.6a will die in the next 6 months or so.

It's watercooled also. But i will take that bet. I've not seen one die yet, and i have used over 100 P4's between mine and customers in the last year.

This chip has it easy now. I used to run It @ over 2v and 195 fsb with a 226 watt pelt and waterblock!!!

Where is this max of 1.7, intel says 1.75 didnt they???

Havnt seen any of this lately. Or people complaining of it??

Ted, pretty sure most of that discussion was during your, um, "vacation" from here. There was a rash of people who had P4s running at high voltage who discovered the systems becoming unstable after running just fine for extended periods. Over time the overclocks would degrade forcing downclocking, eventually resulting in chips that had problems running stable at stock speeds and voltage.

BTW, with yours on water there's little chance of it dying any time soon.

personally i dont try to get a high vcore as i think the best oc is with the highest speed with the lowest vcore possible, and i to have not seen the sid happen.

Originally posted by widefault
Ted, pretty sure most of that discussion was during your, um, "vacation" from here. There was a rash of people who had P4s running at high voltage who discovered the systems becoming unstable after running just fine for extended periods. Over time the overclocks would degrade forcing downclocking, eventually resulting in chips that had problems running stable at stock speeds and voltage.

BTW, with yours on water there's little chance of it dying any time soon.

There was a handful of people who had dieing p4s on vapo's...

its not the heat its the degradation from over volting. Some would last 12 months, some longer. It was a pretty solid trend thought, running over 1.7-1.8= death to the P4 sooner or later.

Originally posted by Big Worm
There was a handful of people who had dieing p4s on vapo's...

its not the heat its the degradation from over volting. Some would last 12 months, some longer. It was a pretty solid trend thought, running over 1.7-1.8= death to the P4 sooner or later.

Yes but what has happened to it lately??

That is the reason for my experiment for the last year. Chip doesnt shut off, doesnt clock any worse.

I am guess it has more to do with turning on and off @ those high Volts a lot. Anyone consider that. Im sure there is a surge way above like everything electronic. To bad no one has tested this.

I go through a lot of chips in customers rigs, and i have a few of them over 1.7 out there. Left a guys house last night, Sold him a computer for his daughter a 2.53 Clocked @ 3.1ghz for over a year @ 1.75v, factory heatsink, and it's around 60c loaded 24/7.

Not denying chips are dying. Or degrading. Just my own experiment. And trying to figure why i can slam 2.2v+ to my AMD's no problems??

ts not the heat its the degradation from over volting. Some would last 12 months, some longer. It was a pretty solid trend thought, running over 1.7-1.8= death to the P4 sooner or later

But when you were talking about this the p4's Northwoods werent out 12 months?? These were people after a few weeks saying SNDS.

Im not trying to start this arguement up again.

Here's my motto, if you cant afford to kill the chip, dont give it to many volts. I've got more dead chips here than anyone!!! and even a dead 3.2c from non cooling mishap!!!

The prescotts arent even out and the "warning about SNDS" on them. Someone expain to my why no AMD problems with volts??

Dude go search threads on other boards, there was a big problem with this.

Its common knowledge to not up the voltage past ~1.75ish.. this thread was just a warning that the margin for the new chips will probibly be lower.

Amd chips arnt really affected for some reason.

Cooling was not an issue with any of these northwood deaths.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/news6375.html
writen 12/06/2002

Also here is a huge discussion about it:
http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115166

there is many more on google. I am just saying, I doubt it would be good to run a prescott at 1.75v when stock is 1.3v. People should just be careful.

Back