Shuttle SFF and 64bit windows?/

liquidinferno

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys i just put this system togheter and i have windows 64bit downloaded from MS, you think i am gonna have issues with drivers or anything???
I would really like to USE 64bit, it should be faster shouldnt it.................................If i am not going to see any real life improvement than i guess ill settle for xp pro 32bit

Shuttle XPC Barebone System for Socket 754 AMD Athlon 64 CPU, Model SN85G4V2

POWERCOLOR RADEON X800PRO 256M 8X Special Edition Retail / Sealed.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor/OEM

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive

Seagate 120GB External USB 2.0 Enclosure (stackable/silver)

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 1gb (2X512)
Model# TWINX1024-3200C2PT

Lite-On 12X DVD±RW Drive SOHW-1213S BLK

DELL 19 inch 1901FP

There have been complaints about the Serial ATA controller (Silicon Image) for 64 bit not loading correctly (SFFTECH forums). The Nforce chipset drivers work without a hitch so that leaves your Video drivers and I'd imagine those should work quite well. ;) You might want to check to see if there's been any updates to the drivers for the SATA controller since you will be using a Raptor in this box.

-E

If you plan on any type of gaming the 64-bit will not be faster. The drivers are still maturing.

All of the 64 bit stuff is still in a Beta state for Microsoft based desktop platforms. That means there may or may not be beta drivers available for various hardware and even if it is the performance levels will not be on par with the current 32 bit. WinXP64 is nice to play with, if you can get all of the needed drivers, but it's still only a "toy" at this point.

Yeah i was kinda hoping that people with similar setups already had installed 64bit and played with it and what their experiences are, but it seems i would just much better off with installing regular XP PRO where there is more drivers updates etc....... So i guess thats the route ill go, it kinda does suck that look we have 64bit cpu, but the OS is beta, drivers are beta and non optimized and when it comes down to it no real performance increase :( :( Oh well.........................Thanks guys :)

wow i don't know how i missed this post but yes you can load XP 64 on the shuttle and get everything working. I run XP64 on my mine and it has run fine at every lan i've been to. the only problem is that if some one is losing they blame it on my beta OS but other than that never really had a problem. One word of caution tho if you have an ati card and you want bleeding edge frame rates go with the 32bit OS, the 64bit drivers are getting closer but they are still slightly behind the 32bit version.

Hint: The audio drivers aren't from nvidia you need the codec chipset driver. If you have problems find it PM me with you email and I'll send it to you.

Back