Seagate 7200.7 noisy?

bitgod

Gawd
Thinking about getting a pair of Seagate 7200.7 drives to replace my WD 120G drives that sounds like buzzsaws to me now. The whine from them spinning up is noticeable, it's starting to drive me crazy. How are the 7200.7s for noise? I've got a barracuda IV in a silent server that's probably the quietest drive I've never heard, and went and got a Cudda V for my Tivo, and was disappointed in that because while the idle may be quiet, since the drive in a Tivo is always active, the Cudda V makes a lot of noise.

I'm not looking at Samsungs or Hitachis really because those are never on sale, would rather get something that I can get cheap with a rebate.

The barracuda V's have nothing on the new 7200.7 drives. They are very quiet and put up about the best 7200rpm performance out there.

I would get a SATA one since it has the Native Command Queing.

Yeah, picked up one of those 160G SATA drives that's got a rebate at CompUSA this week, it's quieter than the WDs. Though I've also found most of the noise I was hearing was coming from one of the WDs. I'll probably stick with this setup for now, since that got rid of most of the noise, and get another SATA drive down the road when the bigger sizes get cheaper. I think this is the first rebate I've seen on a SATA drive, so hopefully this will start that trend.

Originally posted by bitgod
Yeah, picked up one of those 160G SATA drives that's got a rebate at CompUSA this week, it's quieter than the WDs. Though I've also found most of the noise I was hearing was coming from one of the WDs. I'll probably stick with this setup for now, since that got rid of most of the noise, and get another SATA drive down the road when the bigger sizes get cheaper. I think this is the first rebate I've seen on a SATA drive, so hopefully this will start that trend.

Yea i posted that deal in the Hot Deals section earlier. I've seen the drive on sale before but i didn't catch it in time then. Now though im hesitant on ordering it cause i wanna wait till im ready to order the rest of the hardware which wont be till the new video cards come out. By then the 200GB and larger drives may be as cheaper or cheaper.

Back