SCSI Raid 1 Help.

SKiTLz

2[H]4U
Building a server to send off to the planet to co-lo with them. The board will only have a 32/32 slots and its not a file server.

Im looking for speed and redundancy (and cost). Im thinking maybe 2 18gb scsi's in raid 1.

Since Im out of the scsi loop could some of you folks give me some recommendations on a fast yet well priced drive? And maybe a well priced raid controller?

I don't need alot of storage but the raid 1 is a must.

Also can you have a spare in Raid1 like Raid5? If One drive fails it will automaitcally kick over to the second? Then if that fails use the spare?

Trying to make it as full proof as possible because physical access isnt going to be possible.

Cheers

well .. for the SCSI drive .. it's hard to beat the Seagate Cheetah .. 18GB 15kRPM .. I've got one in my box and it's smokin .. your not gonna find a cheap SCSI drive though thats any good ..

RAID 5 doesn't have a spare disc .. the way RAID 5 stores data is it stores a bit or 2 on one drive then on the next, then a bit of parity about the other information on the other drive .. this way if one of the drives die, you can take it out and put a new one in and it will rebuild the missing data .. also with RAID 5 if you have 3(minimum) drives of 18GB each your amount of storage is 36GB not 52GB because there is a drives worth of Parity ..

dunno about the controller cards though

If you just need RAID 1, you might want to consider an LSI 22320-R with integrated mirroring.

It's a true hardware-based RAID setup (though it's limited to only doing RAID 1) and allows you to assign an extra drive as the Hot Spare to mirror onto when one of the array drives dies.

Originally posted by NightWolfe
well .. for the SCSI drive .. it's hard to beat the Seagate Cheetah .. 18GB 15kRPM .. I've got one in my box and it's smokin .. your not gonna find a cheap SCSI drive though thats any good ..

RAID 5 doesn't have a spare disc .. the way RAID 5 stores data is it stores a bit or 2 on one drive then on the next, then a bit of parity about the other information on the other drive .. this way if one of the drives die, you can take it out and put a new one in and it will rebuild the missing data .. also with RAID 5 if you have 3(minimum) drives of 18GB each your amount of storage is 36GB not 52GB because there is a drives worth of Parity ..

dunno about the controller cards though

Thanks. Im not looking for IDE cheap just not going to spend $400 per drive. And as for Raid 5, the little raid knowledge I have I do know you can have a spare disc. One fails, it rebuilds and slots the spare into the array. Im 99% sure im correct on that one.

Originally posted by UICompE02
If you just need RAID 1, you might want to consider an LSI 22320-R with integrated mirroring.

It's a true hardware-based RAID setup (though it's limited to only doing RAID 1) and allows you to assign an extra drive as the Hot Spare to mirror onto when one of the array drives dies.

Thanks. Seems that card goes for around $400 CAD. Not quite the price I was hoping but not out of reach either. Will read up on it a bit.

Cheers

Originally posted by SKiTLz
And as for Raid 5, the little raid knowledge I have I do know you can have a spare disc. One fails, it rebuilds and slots the spare into the array. Im 99% sure im correct on that one.

Yes, you're right -- RAID 5 arrays can optionally have a hot spare to build onto when one of the drives fails.

Yes, you're right -- RAID 5 arrays can optionally have a hot spare to build onto when one of the drives fails.

is it possible too do the same with Raid1?

Yes, it certainly is. At least on LSI controllers, I can't speak for others.

i have a setup in my webserver with a megaraid controller that has a raid 1 with a "hot spare" which is what i think he wants to do...

its my webserver @ home and dosent get too much traffic... so i have 3x 4gb 10k cheetahs in a raid1 with the third as a hot spare

Back