Scsi question.

shefron

Limp Gawd
Today I picked a Adaptec scsi card for 110 shipped. I was wondering how good it was?

Adaptec 39160 dual channel Ultra 160 scsi card
-dual channel ultra 160 scsi
-has 2 Ultra 160 LVD independant 68 pin interfaces internal and external
-has 1 Ultra/fast SE 50 pin internal interface
-64 bit PCI (can run in 32 bit mode as well, no issues)
-retail, includes original box, LVD 68 pin scsi cable w/ terminator and 50 pin scsi cable and manual

Also these are the drives I'm looking at buying for it. putting in raid 0.
2 of these.
Maxtor KW018J2, Atlas 10K III,18.4GB, Ultra160 Wide LVD SCSI-3, 10,000 RPM, 4.5 ms seek, 8 MB cache, A/V Rated, 3.5" LP, 80 pin interface - 80 to 68 pin SCA adapter included, 5-year warranty.
$79 each from hypermicro

or should I just buy 4 of these

Maxtor XC09J, Atlas V, 9.1GB, Ultra160 Wide LVD SCSI-3, 7200 RPM, 6 ms seek, 4 MB cache, A/V Rated, 3.5" LP, 80 pin interface - 80 to 68 pin SCA adapter included, 1-year warranty
$29 dollars each

I'm looking for something for just performance and not backup since I do backups to my 4x80gig western drives. I don't really like loud hard drives but I'm not sure which one is quiter and performance difference between these to setups.

Edit:
The 9.1 gig I can get at http://www.compuplus.com for 29 with a five year warranty.

tough call, cant really say what the difference between the two stripe widths would be, I would think the 4 drives would give better throughput, but then Im not overly familiar with the contollers overhead or the specifics of those drives, offhand Id guess youd get better sustained transfer with the four drives but quicker access with the two? (spindle speed) that would really depend on the controller though, lots of damn variables

you have a 64bit PCI slot?

Right now I only have 32-bit PCI but this is kinda a get ready for a new motherboard early and I couldn't pass up a card for that cheap. I was looking into the 80 pin since I would be looking into getting a cage later on and its much easier to find one for 80 pin.

Any one have experience with drive noise with these?

Edit:
Dang it I guess the card doesn't support hardware raid but I could still do it with software but I wonder how good that would be.

instead of multiple drives, how about buying a single 15k drive. i believe the fastest available is the Fujitsu, and the quietest is the Segate. the Maxtor is also very good.

Originally posted by shefron

Dang it I guess the card doesn't support hardware raid but I could still do it with software but I wonder how good that would be.

well...if youve got the cpu cycles to spare, definately not the ideal performance boost

Back