SATA drive and IDE connections

Bmans

n00b
Hi all,

I recently purchased a new mobo (abit IC7 max3). I have 72gig western digital sata drive that i will run onboard sata 1 controller as the master no raid setup.

Im pretty new to using sata and a bit confused how I should setup my other IDE devices such as my cdrom burner. I have win xp, and was going to enable sata in enhanced mode and hook my CD burner up on IDE 1 as master. Does it matter whether I run my CDrom on IDE 1 or 2? Since sata is its own controller I assume I just run my cdburner on IDE 1 as master.

Secondly whats the diff between running sata in enhnaced mode vs combined mode? Is enhanced only for running raid?

and lastly, Since my drive is a western digital, I hear folks saying you need to install the sata drivers upon instal (f6 option). I got that, but are those drivers on the diagnostic utility disc that comes with WD drives? For IDE I never really used that disc, just format and install.

Thanks.

Yes, you can run your cd-rom on ide-1.

The sata drivers should come on a floppy that came with the abit mainboard. Either that, or they will be on the mainboard driver cd-rom, and you will have to create the floppy disk using that driver cd-rom.

Back