SATA Burner Question

I'm sure this question has a really simple answer, but I'm relatively new to SATA devices.

Long story short, I recently built a new computer (thanks for the input [H]ard members) and decided to replace my old IDE DVD-RWs with a SATA one. The problem that I'm having is that I cannot rewrite DVD+RW and DVD-RW, which the drive specifically says it does. Every time Nero tells me that the disc is not re-writable. I've received this message with two different brands of discs and on two different SATA drives. The first was an LG (trashed it because it made a loud squeal when switching to the second layer of DL discs), and now have my new Samsung drive doing it too. Firmware is updated and normal discs burn fine. I've never had this problem with my IDE drives, and am wondering if this is a DMA/PIO issue.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Have you tried a different burning app like CD Burner XP Pro?

I sure did, including the app you recommended. I still get the same error message about using re-writable media.

The drives are showing up as DVD-RAM (like the media type) in Windows explorer. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything.

Back