Sapphire 9800pro 256mb running 83°C idle? what?!?!?!?

JediFonger

2[H]4U
i can do desktop things fine but once i step into anything 3D i can only play a game for 1 minute tops and then it freezes!!!! i'm not doing any mods just plain ole' vanilla vidcard. i've been googling, it seems that my model of vid card has one of the crappiest coolers on there!!! NOOOOOOOO!

why would anyone sell something taht doesn't work out of the box? here's what i received:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-340&depa=0

14-102-340-05.JPG

now, this is unacceptable (obviously) so i'm thinking about returning but on the other hand i really hate spending more money. so here are my choices:
- return this card and get 9800xt with the good cooling.
- keep this card and get a good SINGLE SLOT VGA coolers.

but having googled around and trying to find one, no one makes a GOOD VGA cooler that will NOT take up 2 slots. i know artic cooling has the VGA Silencer but there is no way in hell i'm taking up another slot. Why don't people make the same thing as Sapphire's 9800xt stock cooler? SEE:
14-102-319-01.JPG

Think Iceberg or Crystal Orb...although the latter one might be too tall, I don't know. But I use it...it fits nicely and works great. Ramsinks can't hurt, either. :D

Check Newegg for some ideas. :)

this may sound kinda dumb but here goes...

Make sure the heatsink is attached all the way down to the card. Sometimes a screw is missing or something...

Id have to save the first pic has the cheesiest cooler i have ever seen, it looks like a plastic POS,

Try popping off the lid, seems there are 5 small screws to remove the lid, it doesnt seem it can get rid of the hot air with that top cover.

card cooler sounds interesting but i have sata cables that would directly sticking out in above the overall PCI slots. slight chance of getting it clipped by the fan. either way i'm returning the card and getting a true 9800xt. costs a lot more moola though.

i would suggest you save a bit more for the x800, its almost the same price as the 9800xt

I'd be willing to bet that that HSF isn't seated correctly or the core is not flat.. either way open the fucker up, and reseat it, then try again if that doesn't work then replace the cooler with a nice 15-25 dollar cooler and be happy.

~Adam

SHIT, DONT get a 9800xt!!!!! Stop, just stop. They haven't dropped the price on the 9800xt yet!

If you're gonna get an ATi video card, get the X800 Pro if you want it immediately at a local store. That card is at least 150% the performance of the 9800xt, and costs a little less too.

If you're willing to wait a few days, for 200% the performance of the 9800xt grab the X800 XT PE at gateway.com for $400 (with SAVE10TVAC coupon).

CleanSlate said:
I'd be willing to bet that that HSF isn't seated correctly or the core is not flat.. either way open the fucker up, and reseat it, then try again if that doesn't work then replace the cooler with a nice 15-25 dollar cooler and be happy.

~Adam

is not that the cooler is loose, i have the exact same card, the cooler is a POS, not suited for such a hot core

ok i'm back to my old and trusty 8500dv. i'm willing to wait... but is x800pe coming with GOOD COOLERS?!?!?!?! it better be the best thing since sliced bread.

it's kinda useless on my tyan tiger mpx anyhow because i'm memory limited by my mpx chipset (pc2100) anyway but i'm thinking very far ahead for my dual opteron boards =).

well, dont expect the best cooling on a single slot cooler, im changing my card cooler for an AMD cooler, dont care much for pci slots, as long as i can fit an audigy at the bottom thats all i need

the coupon is $43 bucks. i thought x800pe is supposed to be 500. if that's the case then the final total would be $557+s&h. and when you say "a few days" you mean monday 7/5? 7/6? etc? when exactly? but anyway i'm listening. even if i get x800xt for $398 delivered that's still freaking awesome.

also is x800pe the SAME as x800xt?

Unit-0 said:
SHIT, DONT get a 9800xt!!!!! Stop, just stop. They haven't dropped the price on the 9800xt yet!

If you're gonna get an ATi video card, get the X800 Pro if you want it immediately at a local store. That card is at least 150% the performance of the 9800xt, and costs a little less too.

If you're willing to wait a few days, for 200% the performance of the 9800xt grab the X800 XT PE at gateway.com for $400 (with SAVE10TVAC coupon).

nevermind folks. i just placed the order. i HOPE!!! it comes with a GOOD cooling solution so it can run out of box.

Back