Sapphire 9800 Pro

BigRod

n00b
Does this card have a VGA Bios screen that should come up?

I am having a weird problem with a computer I just built (See this thread). The 9800 Pro I put in this computer is getting really hot and doesn't have a VGA Bios screen that comes up. I don't know what is going on.

Please help.

I don't remember a vga bios screen popping up on mine. The stock heatsink is inadequate tho. Try using something like the 'arctic cooler' rev 3 :)

Those cards can get pretty hot, although they shouldn't get hot enough to cause issues unless you have some seriously poor case cooling or multiple obstructions. VGA Silencer would be a good solution in that case for sure, although there are cheaper solutions. I personally use a crystal orb and some ramsinks to help out. Also doesn't hurt to throw a fan or two at the card. :D

On system start up, I do get a VGA Bios screen... albeit for about 1 1/2 secs. Also, throw a VGA Silencer on it and fahgedaboudit.

Good Luck.

I don't think it is the card at all.

I started getting a lot of memory errors while trying to install windows and more once it was installed. I pulled one of the sticks and haven't had any problems. I am going to do some testing to see if I can verfiry my assumption, and if so I will just have to RMA that stick.

If you suspect the memory, run memtestx86. You can get it by googling the same. The Sapphires do get hot, but they shouldn't run too hot so as to melt anything. The stock cooler sucks big time, and they have been shown to run above 80 C. With the VGA silencer on it, you should be able to take it down to 40-50 C, just because the stock cooler is SO bad that it really shouldn't be there at all. :eek:

I get no video bios screen when POSTing, all I get is black for about 1 second, then my motherboard's splash screen. When I had my BFG FX 5200, I got the message

FX 5200 BIOS
Version [whatever version it was]
256.0 MB RAM

But the ATI does nothing.

Back