Samsung W7900 ("The Show") or Nokia N97

IceWeasel

[H]ard|Gawd
I think I know what I'm going to start saving my pennies for...

either:

http://www.popsci.com/gear-amp-gadgets/article/2009-01/hands-samsungs-projector-phone

or:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/nokia-unveils-flagship-n97-phone/

There is no price announced for the first, but I'm guessing it would be close to $1k USD w/o a contract. The N97 is about $730 w/o a contract. Both are only going to be available overseas for the first half of 09 or so. Fortunately I have some friends who visit overseas in this timeframe...

/drool

What are your thoughts on either phone?

"The Show" is gimmicky, and of course huge due to the projector being wedged in. It's 10 lumens -- useless in anything but almost total darkness, from a very short range, and the projection area will barely be larger than the screen on the phone itself, not to mention the pitifully low (below VGA) resolution. The technology just isn't there -- if the thing would do 800x600 and had high enough brightness to really be useful and throw a reasonably large image (say, as large as the screen on a 12" laptop, or at least a 10" netbook) there'd be reason to consider it. Until then...

The N97 is a far superior device, though it's larger than I'd like... but at least it has a potentially useful featureset to justify that bulk. Between the two, there's no question which I would choose. Especially now, considering that the Samsung is almost certain to be more expensive, but even if it were $50-100 less than the Nokia, I'd take the N97 over it any day.

"The Show" is gimmicky, and of course huge due to the projector being wedged in. It's 10 lumens -- useless in anything but almost total darkness, from a very short range, and the projection area will barely be larger than the screen on the phone itself, not to mention the pitifully low (below VGA) resolution. The technology just isn't there -- if the thing would do 800x600 and had high enough brightness to really be useful and throw a reasonably large image (say, as large as the screen on a 12" laptop, or at least a 10" netbook) there'd be reason to consider it. Until then...

The N97 is a far superior device, though it's larger than I'd like... but at least it has a potentially useful featureset to justify that bulk. Between the two, there's no question which I would choose. Especially now, considering that the Samsung is almost certain to be more expensive, but even if it were $50-100 less than the Nokia, I'd take the N97 over it any day.

Holy crap, I just almost wet my pants. I had an n95 and it was great, but I love the versatility of touch screens hence why I moved phones. Now Nokia gets with the bandwagon I am definitely getting one. This would replace my ipod touch, and phone plus it has a 32gb built in storage. I think all phones just got PWNED.

where does it mention n97 with android?

n97 looks like the XPERIA done right...

I dream of a day where consumers can CHOOSE an OS for their mobile pc...silly ideas

I dream of a day where consumers can CHOOSE an OS for their mobile pc...silly ideas

I dream of a day, where there will be a website where we can customize our phone, make it TRULY ours, customize the case, physical or virtual keyboard, screen res, touch or no touch, battery size, proc speed, ram, rom, ect....but that wont happen for a hunnerd years...

Back