Samsung Launching Dual Blu-ray HD DVD Player

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung has announced that it will create a dual format player that plays both Blu-ray and HD DVD movies. The move is somewhat surprising because Samsung has been such a big supporter of Sony’s Blu-ray format in the past.

One of the main backers of the Blu-ray Disc format, South Korea's Samsung Electronics plans to release an optical disc player this year that will play both Blu-ray Disc and the rival HD DVD format, it said Friday. The news makes Samsung the second company to shift from a single-format stance and adopt the idea of a dual player than can read both types of disc.

This line is classic:

So it might appear to consumers more than a little ironic that Samsung, which helped create the format mess in the first place, is trying to push the new player as something it's doing because it thinks of consumers ahead of business.

This line is classic:

Hehehe. Nice line.

Anyway these are the types of drives I'm waiting for. Now they just need to get the cost down and have these out in the public space.

Good, now there are a couple companies in the ring... let the price drop commence.

I can't wait for these to show up as writers for computers :)

can't we just get a damn format standard, PLEASE!?

screw the dual format players, decide on ONE and run with it.

I'm sick of this format war crapola.

I'll buy from Samsung. Part of their mission statement is to put Sony out of business. :) Besides all the business/political bullshit, Samsung just makes good stuff.

I'll buy from Samsung. Part of their mission statement is to put Sony out of business. :) Besides all the business/political bullshit, Samsung just makes good stuff.

QFT, Samsung is on the top of list in quality products. Hopefully this be one hell of a player, and I may just buy it then. If not, HD DVD 360 addon for me. But ill rather be able to support both standards so I can all my new movies in a HD format.

can't we just get a damn format standard, PLEASE!?

screw the dual format players, decide on ONE and run with it.

I'm sick of this format war crapola.

I have to agree. Choices are usually good, but not in this case.

What I need is a dual format drive that can't play the movies but can burn disks, that way I can use it to store stuff and avoid the crappy DRM-fucked nonsense.

Back