routerable IPs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

junk

n00b
I was given five routerable IP addresses by my provider, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to assign these IPs to my two seperate PCs.

They have their own IPs behind the router(192.168.100, etc) But I'd like to know if each machine can have a physical IP address viewable from the interweb(like 67.120.XXX.XX1)

I have a linksys BEFsomething or other VPN router, where in the router interface do I assign these IPs, dudes?

Thanks in advance for the help

Originally posted by junk
I was given five routerable IP addresses by my provider, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to assign these IPs to my two seperate PCs.

They have their own IPs behind the router(192.168.100, etc) But I'd like to know if each machine can have a physical IP address viewable from the interweb(like 67.120.XXX.XX1)

I have a linksys BEFsomething or other VPN router, where in the router interface do I assign these IPs, dudes?

Thanks in advance for the help

The interweb?

You're...kidding, right?

No you cant. Your assigning the IP's to the router not the client. Unless your router has dual wan ports (which it doesnt) you cannot use two IP's unfortuantely.

All machines behind your router will appear as one IP address to the outside world. That's the idea of NAT soho boxes.

SKRITCH. Im sure he appreciates your help! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SKiTLz
No you cant. Your assigning the IP's to the router not the client. Unless your router has dual wan ports (which it doesnt) you cannot use two IP's unfortuantely.

All machines behind your router will appear as one IP address to the outside world. That's the idea of NAT soho boxes.

SKRITCH. Im sure he appreciates your help! :rolleyes:

There are routers that allow interface aliasing, where a single interface can have more than one IP address. You'd then use NAT to translate the non-RFC1918 addresses to the appropriate RFC1918 addresses internally.

And bite me. I don't respond well to anyone calling me "dude". That stopped being amusing about 20 years ago.

Humor: "Teh intarweb".
Frightening newbieness: "the Interweb".

If you use something other than a consumer firewall, like a Cisco PIX or something equally robust, you can have the IPs of the PCs NATed (as mentioned above) so that any inbound requests (if allowed) would hit the aliased (static in Cisco-ese) addresses and work. I have probably 20 boxes behind my PIX that all have static addresses mapped to 192.168.x.x address for email, web, dns, etc all on seperate IP addresses running off of a single interface.

It is very easy if the equipment will handle it. The only challenge is when you want to get creative.

Originally posted by skritch
There are routers that allow interface aliasing, where a single interface can have more than one IP address. You'd then use NAT to translate the non-RFC1918 addresses to the appropriate RFC1918 addresses internally.

And bite me. I don't respond well to anyone calling me "dude". That stopped being amusing about 20 years ago.

Humor: "Teh intarweb".
Frightening newbieness: "the Interweb".

Pathetic. He used the word dudes so your above him.

Help him or take your attitude elsewhere.

Dont ever travel outside your country (ie australia). Dude is a common word so the country will obviously suck.

Originally posted by SKiTLz
Pathetic. He used the word dudes so your above him.

Help him or take your attitude elsewhere.

Dont ever travel outside your country (ie australia). Dude is a common word so the country will obviously suck.

Okay, I'll take my attitude elsewhere.

Believe me, it's this group's loss, not mine.

Okay, I'll take my attitude elsewhere.

Believe me, it's this group's loss, not mine.

Yea if u say so. Think highly of yourself?

Yes. So do other people.

You da man!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't think there is enough room in this forum for all of us and your ego. I'm sure you are brilliant, but keep it to yourself...

Sure on the main setup tab under WAN Connection Type, change it to Static IP then input you ip info in the fields. If you are looking to keep your privet subnet, but route the public IPs to systems in the subnet, you will need a router that can do multi-nat. The linksys can't do that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back