Router problem

maztur

n00b
Okay, this is simple for you guys; too hard for me. :eek:

Anyways, when my Linksys router is hooked up I can't visit certain websites (e.g. Yahoo, eBay, Hotmail, etc) I, mean, I can load it up but I cannot log-in.

However, if I plug my computer right into the dsl modem, then it works fine.

What should I be looking at changing? Thanks!

Does your router block cookies? A lot of websites use cookies to keep track of the session state.... no cookie = no session variables = no login

hmmm, I have all cookies on 'prompt' in IE and it still doesn't work. Thanks tho, anyone else?

He meant to check if the ROUTER had settings for blocking cookies, when it's hooked up the cookies could be being blocked there before they got to IE, get it?

I have a LINKSYS router, where would that 'option' be ? I'm at the setup page but I don't know what to change.

What model number do you have? I did some quick research on google, and some models do have the ability to block cookies, activex controls, java applets, etc.

I'll tell you what, I don't think they do at default settings, so you might try resetting it to default. I think you do that by pressing in the resessed red button in the back with a pen or pencil for a few seconds or until the lights go off then start flashing again.

I have that same one, and I know it doesn't block cookies... it doesn't do much of anything really except NAT. Maybe you have some (antivirus?) software on your computer that blocks cookies?

My linksys has a "Firewall" section on it. Underneath theres an option for cookies. See if its enabled or disabled.

Code:
Web Filter:  	 

Proxy:  	Allow Deny
  Java:  	Allow Deny
  ActiveX:  	Allow Deny
  Cookie:  	Allow Deny

Do you have it set up for PPPOE? Most DSL's are, then you have the options of entering the same PPPOE info that's on your PC (user name, PW, DHCP/Fixed IP etc).

Back