Roccat Kone Max

duncann

n00b
I'm looking for a new mouse and I'm very curious about the Roccat Kone. I currently have a first version of the Logitech G5. I went and got a G9x but returned it because the shape was all wrong. I then tried 2 G500s (I loved all the buttons and placement) but there was a fatal flaw with both of these; they emitted a very high frequency squeal which I heard at arms length (much worse if you put it next to your ear). This is like a razor wire being pushed in one ear and pulled out the other in a continuous monotany of pure audio hell. Another minor gripe about the G500 is the sandpaper-like texture of where your thumb rests. I much prefer the smooth rubbery finish of the G5.

The most important question I have about the Roccat for anyone that owns one is if it emits any sort of high frequency? Can you hear anything even if you put it right next to your ear? This is very important because I'm in the US and the places to buy one of these seems limited. And the places that do sell them have very strict return policies (if they would even allow a return), costing me money in the end. Unless you know of somewhere other than performance-pcs.com or medusa-usa.com.

Finally, I assume I'd have no problem with the shape because it looks very similar to the G5?

Thanks for any insightful information.

I'm curious about that mouse as well. I'm currently using a Razer Lachesis which I'm pretty happy with as far as performance. However it's a little to big for my hand. That Roccat looks promising. Whether its worth $90 as a replacement for my Lachesis is the real question.

I have that mouse and so far its worth it. I previously had an mx518 and it was starting to have problems with the buttons and it was just time for a new mouse after using it for 3 years. One of the major things I like about the roccat is its button layout. Its the same layout as the 518 with an added left/right scroll option on the mouse wheel. The scroll wheel is a lot smoother and quieter on the roccat. It also comes with a set of 4 weights (5,10,15,20 gram) that are easy to replace.

The top button (the one above the mouse wheel) is pretty stiff for some reason and is a lot harder to push down than the others. The outside is covered by a rubber like material very similar to the thumb area on the 518. Another cool feature I like is the Tracking control unit in the advanced options menu. It helps a lot if you're the type of person in games that has to pick the mouse up and recenter it on the mouse pad. What happens when the option is turned on is the laser sensor will turn off as soon as it notices the mouse is picked up so you don't loose your mouse position on screen. Helps a lot if you are a gamer.

Overall I think the roccat is a tad bit more comfortable than my 518 was but only slightly. The software that comes with the mouse has more options compared to setpoint as far as customizing the mouse the way you like it. They have windows 7 drivers out for the mouse and they work great. For anyone that is concerned about the size of the mouse here is a comparison between the G9 and the 518.

rotat.jpg

Software pictures

44270211.jpg
42634334.jpg
20414854.jpg

Post up any questions you guys want to know about the mouse. Hopefully I can answer them.

Last edited:
Post up any questions you guys want to know about the mouse. Hopefully I can answer them.

Interested to know if it emits any sort of high frequency sound that plague a lot of Logitech mice.

Also, someone asked a question in another thread that I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to. The mouse has application detection and switches profiles based on that, which is good, but upon exiting the game, will the mouse automatically switch back to a default profile for normal use?

Interested to know if it emits any sort of high frequency sound that plague a lot of Logitech mice.

Also, someone asked a question in another thread that I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to. The mouse has application detection and switches profiles based on that, which is good, but upon exiting the game, will the mouse automatically switch back to a default profile for normal use?

For your first question, no it does not emit any noise that I can hear it is completely silent and I'm the type of person that can hear high frequency noise especially on tv's. For your second question I was the person who asked that in the other thread. So far I have not found a way for it to automatically switch back to default but I will be looking around for answer.

Plagues a lot of them? :confused: In all my years of visiting forums, your post today is the first time I have ever heard anyone mention a high pitched noise or squeal coming from a Logitech mouse. I currently own or have owned: G9, both G5 versions, MX 518, MX 600, MX 700, MX 1100, LX8 and another older wired one that I can't remember the model of. I have never, ever heard the noise you describe. And my dog hasn't complained, either. ;)

I've got a G500 on the way, and I suspect it'll be silent too but I'll pay extra attention since you say both of yours were affected.

Plagues a lot of them? :confused: In all my years of visiting forums, your post today is the first time I have ever heard anyone mention a high pitched noise or squeal coming from a Logitech mouse. I currently own or have owned: G9, both G5 versions, MX 518, MX 600, MX 700, MX 1100, LX8 and another older wired one that I can't remember the model of. I have never, ever heard the noise you describe. And my dog hasn't complained, either. ;)

I've got a G500 on the way, and I suspect it'll be silent too but I'll pay extra attention since you say both of yours were affected.

Consider yourself lucky if you don't hear it. Some people can and some people can't.

I never actually noticed this until I got the G500. And then it took me a few days to realize it was the mouse. I actually believed my monitor was crapping out.

Now I'm using my G5 again, and although I can't hear the sound at arms length, it's noticeable if you put it up to your ear. Which is fine I guess, because who uses a mouse in that condition?

A quick google search brought up some hits for the subject and eventually I came across this link, http://jdc.parodius.com/logitech/ which documents the problem with some amount of detail.

Huh. I've never actually heard anyone mention/complain about that issue, but interesting to know that it exists. The likelihood of me being able to hear it with the fans in my case and my HEPA air filter whooshing away is pretty low, though. That's assuming that I would even be able to hear a frequency in that range...years of car audio and multiple concerts have likely taken their toll. :D

Back on track, if you get a Roccat Kone make sure it's the newer version (confirm with the retailer if you have to). Some users of the original version had problems with the scroll wheel; the newer version resolved that by using stronger parts.

Yea, mine does it though I didn't know it did it with my case fans running. I'd assume you'd have to have a really quite PC or actually tape it to the side of you head with duct tape to hear it .

I just ordered the Razer Abysuss. I just want a 3 button laser mouse w/o any extra frills on it. It was a bit on the expense side for what you get, but will see how well it works.

I was looking a the Roccat Kone, I wonder where that name came from? Most mice are a letter and some numbers, but this is a Kone.

Funny thing about the logitech noise. I never have heard it before, but about a month ago I started hearing a noise and couldnt figure out what it was. Finally I realized it was the mouse. Oh well, doesnt bother me too much.

I just put my G9 and G500 up to my ears to see what you all are talking about. Both are dead silent. And I've never heard about any mouse squealing until this thread.

Made me put my mx518 next to my ear to see if i could hear any noise, i can and now i can't help but notice it.

RavenX - I was really interested in getting the Roccat Kone when I first heard about it, unfortunately for quite a while it was not for sale in the USA, now I see that it is. You offered to answer questions, so I have some: Does the roccat kone have any obvious tracking problems in your experience? I heard it did from people on razerblueprints.com (a mouse/keyboard site). Do the drivers generally work ok, i.e. do what they're supposed to? Do you have and does it work with Windows 7 64-bit, including firmware updater? Thanks if you could help me here.

Back