Rise of Legends is out!

We played this for about 5 hours today, 2v2 LAN. It's a fun game, not as complex as RoN, but it's better for that (you don't feel like you need to sit there and tech, everything actually does something).

Looks good, I really like the look of the interface, nice and clean. I played RoN some...not a ton though, it was fun on LAN but I never got into single player or online. I might have to pick this up.

It's a good LAN game, it runs well on older hardware (think mobility 9600) and has good netcode (no lag on LAN)

I noticed there haven't been many reviews out yet. I wonder why?

Its ok, but doesnt have the magic of the first original RoN game. Been awhile since I've played a RTS so can't really give an effective review.

They really put effort into the terrain generator, the terrain looks damn good in comparison to previous RTS games I've played. Heres a couple low quality compressed shots from the 3rd level, everything maxed except shaders on medium.
0018rt.jpg

0020eu.jpg

0039ul.jpg

0046ow.jpg

0055qs.jpg

0069yj.jpg

0073mo.jpg

I guess its fun, but some things can be pretty annoying.
For one the pathing shouldn't take into consideration collision detection for allies, cause the map pathways are small, and if you try to move ONE unit from point A to B, the 500 units in between A and B try to move out of the way and end up scattering 1/2 way around the map. silly.

Also, the expansion of the main city is annoying, like in the first shot above it looks like a few buildings together but its just one huge building. You need to keep adding pieces and parts to it to upgrade but its very restrictive as to how/where you add parts and it gets farking annoying cause you have no space to expand the damned building yet you need to for upgrades. That one building can be bigger than the rest of the entire base. Frustrating.

Last annoying thing is the level of zoom, cause the buildings are so big, and many units are relatively big I want to zoom out further, like almost 1.5-2x what the current maximum is. The first pic is ONE building, my main city, and I can't even zoom out enough to get the entire building, can;t fit just ONE building in the screen. ffs. (but I guess it will probably be possible with a mod in the future.)

The upgrade chains are also a bit confusing, may take a while before you get accustomed to it, it doesn't really flow naturally like other rts. May have a learning curve.

But otherwise its a fun game so far, I haven't gotten deep into upgrade chains yet so can't comment on the entire gameplay, but if you're looking for the magic of the first RoN some of it is there, but not all.
I'm not really a hardcore rts guy, so you may want to wait for someone else's comments :p

I didnt like how they forced vsync on and dont provide an option in-game to turn it off.
Anyhow to turn off vsync go to
\My Documents\My Games\Rise Of Legends\

And open personal.ini
and set
VSync=0

Drexion said:
I didnt like how they forced vsync on and dont provide an option in-game to turn it off.
Anyhow to turn off vsync go to
\My Documents\My Games\Rise Of Legends\

And open personal.ini
and set
VSync=0

Why woudl you turn off vsync, especialy if you are on an LCD screen?

I enjoy this game a bit. The campaign is ok, but I prefer my RTS capaigns more linear like Act of War, Warcraft, Starcraft, and the like.

Skirmish mode (no lan game till this weekend), is fun though. The interface is a lot prettier than RoN's, but I don't know if it is really easier. It just seems busier than before. The advancement tree is a bit confusing also. Science points plus research points. Guess I'm a little too used to RoN right now.

Pluses...(Only had a chance to play one race, so this might not apply to all)

No builders! No more having a group of 20 civies running around building all your stuff, then executing them to gain back population. It's now just click and place. Mines create miners themselves.

Only 3 nations. RoN had like 20 nations, and the same 4-5 were the only ones anyone ever used anyways.

Storming outposts/cities. This benefits my heavy infiltry unit style of play. Given enough squads, you can take over a city without having to lay waste to it first.

My nitpics though...

Why did they put your racial power up in the upper right, along with the nation ranking icons? It's hard to notice. They shoudl have moved it above the command panel or integrated it into it somehow.

Nation ranking icons...I don't care!

Resource gathering limit status. It shows what I assume is the max limit for gathering, but does not show your current gather rate. I can't tell I'm maxed out till I'm actualy maxed out. I'd like to be able to know when I'm close so I can preplan when I do my trade district upgrades

Havn't figgured out how to create new cities. I can capture/buy them, but not create new ones?

I tried the demo when it was first released. Honestly, I thought it sucked. They must have done a lot of work on it for it to have mixed reviews at its release.

DocNsane said:
Resource gathering limit status. It shows what I assume is the max limit for gathering, but does not show your current gather rate. I can't tell I'm maxed out till I'm actualy maxed out. I'd like to be able to know when I'm close so I can preplan when I do my trade district upgrades

Try clicking or right clicking on the 2 top left resource indicators

DocNsane said:
Why woudl you turn off vsync, especialy if you are on an LCD screen?
Tearing doesnt bother me. Having fixed frame rates with no in-betweens (ie eg. its either 60 or 30 nothing else for example) does though. Just personal preference.

There was an updated demo aside from the first one - they admitted the first one sucked and the second one was excellent.

Game is great - I've been playing it a lot, multiplayer interface is the best I've seen.

I just got it, I didn't play RoN, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Played a little bit of the first campaign and I'm hooked! Its very well balanced, the most intense warfare can go on for hours! Or maybe I just suck. At any rate, I hope I get 40+ hours out of this game.

mastercheeze said:
I just got it, I didn't play RoN

That's the key thing I've noticed in a lot of my friend's thoughts on the game...

If they played RoN a LOT beforehand, they generaly hate it.

If they didnt play RoN, they generaly like it.

I played a lot of RoN myself, and it was a bit of a paradigm shock when I first picked up RoL. Once I got over the whole "this isn't RoN" thing, I enjoyed it much more.

Back