Remote Manage Local Server

TurboGLH

Gawd
Putting together a gamer server for our lan parties. Since we hold them at my place all the time I want to set the server up in an out of the way area and be able to use it without having to run around the house every time we change games. Any way to remotely manage the server from my desktop? Any suggestions on an OS that lends itself to the task at hand a little better than others (built in remote man. maybe?) Not familiar with linux so I would prefer to stick to a M$ OS, but I'm fairly flexable. Thanks in advance for any help.

Any 2000 Server or 2003 Server os will have built in Remote Desktop Connection and you can do everything (as far as i know) with it. I run my Windows 2003 Standard Server from my closet, all it has plugged in to it is a network cable and power cable. Hope this helped.

well, depending on how many people you have.
You can use windows XP and do remote assistance on that.
But that's maxes out at 10 connections, including the management connection.

Or if you want a "server" OS, you can always get win server 2003, those all have terminal server remote admin capability.
That's pretty much unlimited as far as connections go.

Originally posted by mobiux
well, depending on how many people you have.
You can use windows XP and do remote assistance on that.
But that's maxes out at 10 connections, including the management connection.

Or if you want a "server" OS, you can always get win server 2003, those all have terminal server remote admin capability.
That's pretty much unlimited as far as connections go.

doesn't that only include a 90-day licsense?

Try VNC.

It's a free remote administration utility. You can get it on Tucows.

Gencontrol is about the best VNC type program that I've ever used. It's basically TightVNC (The best actual VNC client-server) that installs itself remotely. Done pretty well in my opinion.

Thanks for all the reply's I have a few options to choose from now. The help is much appreciated.

Windows Server 2000/2003. Install terminal services in remote administration mode. 3 concurrent terminal connections- license free.

You need to be administrator to log in, but that's the default on Windows Servers anyway....

Originally posted by oakfan52
doesn't that only include a 90-day licsense?

I think that is only if you are connecting with windows 98/me or xp home. And that is only if he wanted to run it in application mode, which in this case he wouldn't.

Back