regular 5.1 receiver + computer??

trance-rulz

Weaksauce
At the moment i have an older (vintage) yamaha receiver w/ 2 pioneer hpm60's. Great stereo and i enjoy having an actual receiver, so my question is. Can i hook up a 5.1 surround sound receiver to my sound card (tbsc) and will be able to acheive 5.1 surround sound? Or do i have to buy one of those multimedia setups.

Does your reciever have 5.1 analog inputs?

Are you looking for 5.1 sound in games? I dont think the TBSC can do that...

my current one no, i was planning on upgrading to a newer one.
and yes i was mainly looking for 5.1 in games.

i do have an old aiwa pro logic setup although sq isnt as great as my 19 yr old receiver, im gonna go dig that out and hook all the speakers and see what happens.

First of all, the Cruz doesnt do true 5.1 gaming; only 4.1. Second, Pro Logic and Pro Logic II aren't true surround sound... they simply make stereo kinda surroundish... Third, I believe that the Cruz only does 2 channel gaming for digital out... sorry.

If I were you, I'd upgrade to an Audigy 2 ZS retail, sell the cruz and the recievers and such, and just get some 5.1 analog multimedia system... unless you can put a lot of money towards a higher end reciever/5.1 system... Think $600 total for the reciever/5.1 speakers...

The ultimate question on these old recievers is going to be, how many channels of analog input do they have? As contrary as it may seem , digital sound on compuers is generally more trouble than it's worth. If the number of analog input channels is 2, then you will not be able to get surround sound. Don't worry about it however. I'd choose good sound coming out of 2 speaker over crap coming out of 5.1 any day.

well thanks for your guy's help, im probably going to hold off and keep my vintage setup, the sound is far better than this aiwa. Although i did play a divx vid and it sounded pretty nice, but gaming sounded like crap.

I also recently retired an old Yamaha receiver (AVC 30U). It was a great sounding amp but only supported Dolby Surround (L, R and matrixed rears)

Back