RedHat 9.0 + mp3's not showing up = whats going on???

darkmyth

Gawd
I run my own apache server out of my room, and was going to host some music on there for myself that I can access while i'm at school. I'd of course not give out the addy to it at all. But I burnt a data disk of all my mp3's and mounted the disk in my server box and it didn't recognize a single mp3? Is there a way to get mp3's to show up or ?

odoe said:
Redhat does not include mp3 support in their installs due to licensing issues
however it is easy enough to implement
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1890&page=4
that was written for RH8, but should be good for RH9.

thank you very much for pointing me to a solution. I found that about the licensing issues before. But I could never really find a fix for the mp3's not being recognized etc...

thank you though you've helped out a lot

Umm...

Not being able to play MP3s is a completely different thing from not being able to see them on a CD. Not having an MP3 player shouldn't stop them from going out over your web server or showing up whtn you mount the CD...

ameoba said:
Umm...

Not being able to play MP3s is a completely different thing from not being able to see them on a CD. Not having an MP3 player shouldn't stop them from going out over your web server or showing up whtn you mount the CD...

exactly. I'm confused by why the files wouldn't even show up? I don't want to play these on my machine all I want to do it be able to host them off of my server. Think that something got corrupt or?

when you're saying "see them on the webserver".. what is it doing now?

There's a lot of things it could be... you might not have your webserver serving the right directories... or not have it set up to give directory listings or...

ameoba said:
when you're saying "see them on the webserver".. what is it doing now?

There's a lot of things it could be... you might not have your webserver serving the right directories... or not have it set up to give directory listings or...

this is not the case.

This is what is going on. I burn a data cd with all of the mp3's that are on my windows machine. I then remove the disk from my cdrom drive on my windows machine and put it into my server box's cdrom. I input mount /mnt/cdrom/ and it mount's but there are no mp3's that are visable on the disk when i change the directory to cd /mnt/cdrom/

I have this problem in RH8 with music cds, but mp3s work fine, i dont know if regular cds work in FC2, havnt checked. But xmms sees them fine so it doenst really matter to me.

For one, you don't mount Audio CD's in Linux, unless you have the special filesystem support. All you do is use a program to play the CD, XMMS can do this, just needs to be configured. As for not being able to see files burned onto a cd, make sure the CD has been finalized, other wise Linux might have a problem mounting it, since the volume isn't complete. Also, Multisession CDs and Linux don't mix well, it just mounts the last session done. This is from my personal experence though, haven't tried it in a while.

So... after you mount the CD, you cd to the mountpoint and don't see anything?

That's not promising.

a) make sure you're burning good CDs (test under windows?)
b) make sure you're looking at the right mountpoint (/etc/fstab)
c) make sure you're actually mounting the CD (run mount by iitself)

if you've got a network, copy it over that... much easier. mount //windowsmachine/share /mnt/tmp -t smbfs -o username=yourwindowsuser and go for it. or ftp them. set up vsftpd and ftp in from windows.

but, i assume you don't have a lan set up or you woulda done that... what program are you using to burn the mp3s? what cdrom is in the server? does it read other cd-r's?

yes i make sure its a good burn by checking under windows.

I use nero 6

I was burning them at 52x which could be a problem so i bumped it down to 8x but still got the same problem.

The cdrom in the router /server box is older and i'm not sure what the speed is of it.

I mount the cd by doing this

mount /mnt/cdrom/

sometimes it mounts others it doesn't.

then i went into the /mnt/ directory and did a mount /mnt/cdrom/ which shouldn't have made a differance but it did actually mount and the mp3's had shown up.

My machine's mobo is shot now though that my linux router was on. the CMOS battery went bad on it so I changed it out with a brand new one and while i was doing that the clip ontop of it broke off. I tried laying the machine on it's side and pressing down on the battery and rebooting but it still said the cmos battery was low. So i'm thinking that current must have flowed through the clip. I'm trying to get a friend to send me one which he said he would but he hasn't gone to see how much shipping is.

the board i'd need would be a p1 board that supports edo ram, and a 166mhz proc. I know it's slow as heck and old but it was only acting as my router/server. form factor AT

Yes I do have a network setup but i've been haveing problems with vsftpd. I can't seem to set it up correctly, I have gone through several tutorials but none of them really help out with setup. I do go into the config and yes I do add my user to the allowed users file. I then comment out all the anonymous(sp?) login lines because i really don't want people to be able to connect to it on the outside of my network except for me. I did finally get samba working for printer sharing on my dual boot machine, but since my router is down my network is also down. Which it will remain untill i get money for one, win an auction on ebay for one, or get a new mobo for the router box i was usen.

Xipher said:
For one, you don't mount Audio CD's in Linux, unless you have the special filesystem support. All you do is use a program to play the CD, XMMS can do this, just needs to be configured. As for not being able to see files burned onto a cd, make sure the CD has been finalized, other wise Linux might have a problem mounting it, since the volume isn't complete. Also, Multisession CDs and Linux don't mix well, it just mounts the last session done. This is from my personal experence though, haven't tried it in a while.

I don't want to play the cd. If you didn't read i burnt a data disk of my mp3's not an audio cd.

Back