Red Orchestra: Ostfront release date announced.

I think the graphics are passable. Some people are getting blurry graphics until they turn off HDR bloom in the display options, leading to a lot of complaints. Yes BF2 has better graphics, but its much harder on machines. Animations are a mixed bag. I think the first person animations (reloading, changing MG barrels, tank hatches) are fine. However, when you see other people walking around it dosent quite look right. Too stiff. In groups they look like a herd of robots marching in step.

I havent been able to play a ton, but I love the gameplay. devestating bolt action rifles, tanks with tons of blind spots, manual bolting (click fire again to cycle another round) machineguns that cant spin in place making them as handy as a smg. some grenades are actually duds!

and you can bayonet people!

yes its true... no knife here .... bayonet!

i think this game will age very well... its an hardcore fps ... not for beginner at all

WhyYouLoveMe said:
There's this game called Battlefield 2. There's also this game called Call of Duty 2. Both have better graphics than Osfront.

Not by much... If you read you will notice I said significantly better graphics. BF2 looks only slightly less cartoonish than HL2. BF2's graphics don't look realistic at all IMO. RO has it just right. As long as you have that HDR crap turned off they look very crisp and realistic. Too many other engines have that plastic/cartoonish look. I really wasn't impressed with BF2's graphics.

Besides BF2 is still BF. And the BF series of games have the most unoptimized engines/netcode. If you want to require 2 gigs to not experience swapping and if you want to lag all over the place even with good latency/no loss then go ahead and play BF2 instead :p

Devnull said:
Not by much... If you read you will notice I said significantly better graphics. BF2 looks only slightly less cartoonish than HL2. BF2's graphics don't look realistic at all IMO. RO has it just right. As long as you have that HDR crap turned off they look very crisp and realistic. Too many other engines have that plastic/cartoonish look. I really wasn't impressed with BF2's graphics.

Besides BF2 is still BF. And the BF series of games have the most unoptimized engines/netcode. If you want to require 2 gigs to not experience swapping and if you want to lag all over the place even with good latency/no loss then go ahead and play BF2 instead :p

Well, you almost stayed on topic...

2gb RAM is frustrating, you say? Enjoy the next few years as games take more memory than that. You realize that's what happens. New games come out... new games need more RAM.

And I'll disagree with you on the graphics thing. I think BF2 and CoD2 look much better than Osfront. So... there ya go. lol :p

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Well, you almost stayed on topic...

2gb RAM is frustrating, you say? Enjoy the next few years as games take more memory than that. You realize that's what happens. New games come out... new games need more RAM.

And I'll disagree with you on the graphics thing. I think BF2 and CoD2 look much better than Osfront. So... there ya go. lol :p

The point went completely over your head, completely. The point has nothing to do with that it needs 2GB of ram as a simple base requirement(it doesn't). The issue is that it is a symptom of the engine being unoptimized.

Devnull said:
The point went completely over your head, completely. The point has nothing to do with that it needs 2GB of ram as a simple base requirement(it doesn't). The issue is that it is a symptom of the engine being unoptimized.

Yeah, but 2gb of RAM is needed to stop swapping in many of the recent releases. It also depends on your resolution/settings. For instance, I run BF2 @ 1280x1024 with everything maxed. It uses more than 1gb of RAM. If I run those same settings in FEAR, WoW, Everquest 2 (and probably Oblivion) I will need more than 1gb of RAM. Since I don't want 3 sticks of 512mb, I have 2x1gb. What's so abnormal about BF2 needing 2gb to run smoothly?

I like this discussion. :D

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Yeah, but 2gb of RAM is needed to stop swapping in many of the recent releases. It also depends on your resolution/settings. For instance, I run BF2 @ 1280x1024 with everything maxed. It uses more than 1gb of RAM. If I run those same settings in FEAR, WoW, Everquest 2 (and probably Oblivion) I will need more than 1gb of RAM. Since I don't want 3 sticks of 512mb, I have 2x1gb. What's so abnormal about BF2 needing 2gb to run smoothly?

I like this discussion. :D

I can't speak for Fear as it doesn't look like my thing. But WoW and EQ2 need a lot of memory because they are MMORPGs, which all have notoriously unoptimized engines and are called upon to do very different tasks from an FPS so that's a very bad comparison.

Devnull said:
I can't speak for Fear as it doesn't look like my thing. But WoW and EQ2 need a lot of memory because they are MMORPGs, which all have notoriously unoptimized engines and are called upon to do very different tasks from an FPS so that's a very bad comparison.

Huh? Why is that a bad comparison? You tell me what I can compare BF2's need for RAM, then. You're confusin' me, man. :eek:

And another thing... Why can't I compare BF2 to a MMORPG? You can have as many as 64 players on a map playing at one time. That's pretty... massive.

I played this along with the 3 other people that did when this game was just a mod. By the sounds of it it hasn't changed a whole lot. Do player movements still look like they're walking around with a stick up their ass? And is everything still ungodly slow?

I don't care if there are games that look better then it. I put game play first and that's what I didn't care for the first time I played it. Everything was slow and and tasks were a hassle to accomplish. And of course the lack of players. Tell me there's more then 2 servers. I like WW2 games so I'm trying to determine if it's worth $25.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/mods.asp?id=1361&s=1

362 servers, 751 players, at 5am EST on a friday morning.

It's been well over 1000+ people later in the day.

As far as animations go, the normal run animation could use some work still yes. Movement, well if you're used to faster games it will feel slow. It's more similar to Ghost recon/operation flashpoint and such in terms of speed.

The ability to dive, lean, rest your weapons, manually reload, etc adds (imo) a lot fo the feel of your character and lettin you feel lik eyou have a lot of affect over the things you do, moreso then the mod did.

this game rocks. despite having virtually all bots on my team, I was able to absolutely punish the axis team, which was made up of several guys from a clan. holed up in a burned out apartment building on odessa I went through nearly ten magazines of ammunition with my sniper rifle, going 22-0. one was a soldat who slipped into the building looking to use it as his own roost and i dropped a grenade on him.

The soldiers look like they have sticks up their ass. The movement is very slow...you can't raise your gun very fast at all. The graphics are 3 years ago. The game idea is great. The realism is good and fresh compared to Bf2 or Cod2. No hoping jumping shooting down your scope while still in the air crap. It really is a good game for their first retail release. You can't move very accurately or smooth like you can in Cod2. It would have been a great game if the graphics were Cod2 quality and the characters moved more smoothly and not stiff like stick figures.

Jiffy, it's a $20 game that was created from a mod. It doesn't have the biggest amount of polish on it... I think thats why most games are crappy these days anyways is because people want graphics over gameplay. I played BF2 all of two days before I got sick of it because of how unrealistic it was. It reminded me of playing with dolls because the bullets did 1/50th the damage they should have. Red Orchestra has the best gameplay mechanics I've played in an online FPS. I thought the graphics were decent anyways, the level design and gameplay more than make up for them.

guys, stop ripping them for the graphics. they went from being modders to full retail game makers literally OVERNIGHT. they got the Unreal Engine license for FREE. enjoy the gameplay. they're dealing with engine restrictions for the graphics :p

jiffypop said:
The soldiers look like they have sticks up their ass. The movement is very slow...you can't raise your gun very fast at all. The graphics are 3 years ago. The game idea is great. The realism is good and fresh compared to Bf2 or Cod2. No hoping jumping shooting down your scope while still in the air crap. It really is a good game for their first retail release. You can't move very accurately or smooth like you can in Cod2. It would have been a great game if the graphics were Cod2 quality and the characters moved more smoothly and not stiff like stick figures.

Eh? Iron sights raise fast, at least imo.

It's no where near as slow as say day of defeat's iron sights.

I have Red Orchestra but keep going back to BF2... the squad based combat blows Red Orchestra out of the water. Doesn't seem like all that many people are playing Red Orchestra anyway.

Back