Ramsink Removal

DrunKBunny

Limp Gawd
I have recently obtained a 9800 pro, that came with ramsinks on both sides of the card. Unfortunetly the clips for the stock fan broke off, so I got a Zalman ZM80C-HP with the fan. The front side ramsinks cleared the heatsink, but the back side ramsinks are too tall by about 1-3mm, causing no good contact between the pipe and the back heatsink.

There are two methods I have read up upon - freezing, or using a hairdrier to warm the things up for easier removal. I probably could just let the thing run for a couple hours and then quickly try to take them off, but I don't really want to run it that long on my uneven cooling.

I am leaning towards the hairdrier method since it seems to require less force than the freezing method, but will the heat damage the ram chips? What would be the most effective method, and how exactly is it performed (my first time here removing =). I have been informed that the goop used is Arctice Alumina Epoxy, in a 70/30 mix instead of 50/50, so it should be a bit easier to remove.

This might help. Crap! I had read a how-to but I can't remember were from. It all depends though on how they attached the ramsinks, they could be fully epoxed to the board which means that you can't remove them unless you want to rip the memory off the pcb- not a good thing. The easiest thing is to return the Zalman (if you can) and get an Artic cooler. It has no trouble with the ramsinks.

I can't really find an arctic cooler here in the toronto area, and I don't really feel like ordering online...

how about you use a dremel or a small drill bit to shave off the 1/3mm from the heatsink? Go [H] with it. Besides I think with the 9800's high speeds the heat sinks might be necessary..? Maybe anyhow. But I wouldn't take them off.

~Adam

I runined a 9800pro by trying to remove some tweakmonster ramsinks with Arctic Adhesive 70/30 mix. 4 ramsinks came off with the ram still attached... I tried the freezing method. If I were you I would replace the orignal heatsink with a Vantec Iceberq. If you mod the Iceberq to look like the original ATI HSF (cutting holes to vent the air pocket caused by the shim, grinding the base to look like the ATI one) you will be able to overclock it pretty far. I have mine running at 450mhz core. Before the Iceberq mod, I would get artifacts at anything over 425. I sold the dead card on Ebay for $30! :D :) :D :cool:

bga ram is notoriously easy to accidently remove from a PCB. You're taking a huge risk.

how about you use a dremel or a small drill bit to shave off the 1/3mm from the heatsink? Go [H] with it. Besides I think with the 9800's high speeds the heat sinks might be necessary..? Maybe anyhow. But I wouldn't take them off.

Personally I would'nt get a Dremel Near my Card one Slip and you'll have a 300.00 paperweight, But YOu Could use the Dremel to Modify the Zalman to make it Fit over your ramsinks..... This in my opinion is the Least Risky proposition.

Originally posted by Ov3rclockjunki3
Personally I would'nt get a Dremel Near my Card one Slip and you'll have a 300.00 paperweight, But YOu Could use the Dremel to Modify the Zalman to make it Fit over your ramsinks..... This in my opinion is the Least Risky proposition.
I'd feel safer working with a Dremel than trying to pry the ramsinks off...as long as you don't rush your work, dremels aren't too bad. Just be sure to avoid the cutting wheel biting into the metal too much...that can be a problem.

Modding the zalman might be a better idea though.

That's what I meant If while you were grinding on the Ramsink and grinder Bit into the metal harder than you anticipated...you'de be screwed. I have alot of experience with a dremel and I dont trust myself around 200.00+ components with a dremel....... I just figured it would just be safer modding the zahlman while it's off the Card.

Ov3rclockjunki3: your sig is horribly too long for the rules, it says 10 lines MAX. It can get rather annoying.

~Adam

Try using a 1u cooler insted of the zalman, there have been some good numbers posted with those.

Back