RAM Question

ve39

Gawd
was wondering on how much faster this dual ram really is then the normal one
and which good ram is the best for it's money
\i was thinking about KINGSTON HYPERX DUAL PC3200 2X256MB DDR 400MHZ

thank you

its not much faster on an amd system, actually the difference in speed isnt really different at all

so if i'm getting intel shell i just get normal 512MB PC3200 for $100 or 2x256 dual which is $200 ?

From what I have picked up around various PC hardware sites, P4s, especially HT chips, make better use of the extra bandwidth of dual channel memory.

AMD XP systems get a very small boost. The jury is still out on A64s ability to use the extra bandwidth of dual channel.

Of course I'm no expert so I could be off about this :D

so i'm wondering does it worth spending extra $100 on dual ram or not

If you have an Intel system that supports dual channel, you definately want to use it.

If you want 512MB of RAM, get two 256MB sticks.

I wanna clear something up in case your thinking this. RAM isn't dual channel. Your motherboard ither supports dual channel or it doesn't. When dual channel is enabled there are two memory controllers in the northbridge working instead of just one.

The bandwidth is almost doubled with dual channel enabled on Intel systems. On AMD its like 3% more performance so its about worthless.

Normal PC3200 RAM gives 3.2GB/s of bandwidth. With dual channel enabled thats doubled to 6.4GB/s.

I would definately make sure i could enable dual channel on an intel 865/875 chipset board but i would buy 2x512MB instead of 2x256 because the extra RAM will give you alot better performance.

I would go for 1 gig of ram instead

so if i'm getting intel shell i just get normal 512MB PC3200 for $100 or 2x256 dual which is $200

THat means you can get 2 sticks of 512 pc3200 for $200 equalling 1 gig

or

you can get 2 256 sticks equaling 512 for the same price.

GO for the gig man an extra 512 mb of ram will perform better than less ram at a hi speed

hey i just clicked on the links you gave me and they both point towards 1 gig of ram. but one is hyperX the uber overclocking memory and the other is samsung which is not known for its overclockabilty anymore.

I would get Hyper X for the 298.99 if you are going to do overclocking. It kicks ass, that is if you have an extra $100 bucks!

hrm i wasn't thinking about overclocking RAM just CPU

Originally posted by El Spic
hey i just clicked on the links you gave me and they both point towards 1 gig of ram. but one is hyperX the uber overclocking memory and the other is samsung which is not known for its overclockabilty anymore.

I would get Hyper X for the 298.99 if you are going to do overclocking. It kicks ass, that is if you have an extra $100 bucks!

Back