RAID on Linux?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
anyone have raid working that uses their built in hardware from the motherboard controller?

Please explain how and what distro?

Onboard controllers aren't worth the trouble; they just do everything in the driver anyways.

Last I looked, the current state of 'support' for them is that the kernel knows how to use drives without corrupting the Windows RAID partitions.

If you want hardware IDE RAID, get a 3Ware.

ameoba said:
s.

How well does this work with FEDORA 2 Linux or Linux in general and where can I purchase this?

most linuxes will allow you to setup software RAID during thier install....I have never done it on linux, but on Freebsd, with VINUM, I have setup a software raid array of 3 120Gb ide drives, on a dual 400Mhz box with 512 of ram, and it works pretty good at lan parties when its getting hammerd.

Otherwise, hardware raid, I have a couple of mylex acceleraid 150 controllers (dac960 chip), and I love it, with 32Mb of ram on the card, i see great performance...

not that that really helps you out at all, i guess :rolleyes:

draconius said:
most linuxes will allow you to setup software RAID during thier install....I have never done it on linux, but on Freebsd, with VINUM, I have setup a software raid array of 3 120Gb ide drives, on a dual 400Mhz box with 512 of ram, and it works pretty good at lan parties when its getting hammerd.

Otherwise, hardware raid, I have a couple of mylex acceleraid 150 controllers (dac960 chip), and I love it, with 32Mb of ram on the card, i see great performance...

not that that really helps you out at all, i guess :rolleyes:
Glad they work under linux, I'm running like 3 of the 960 based cards under FreeBSD and HATE them so much. The array builds and works fine, but the mlxcontrol program really can't do anything useful, or even much of what its documented to do on any of mine. They all seem pretty bitchy about making arrays too. I have a few drives setup into a pack now. I tried to make a new pack yesterday with some other drives and it refuses to make anything larger than 2.5 gigs with 3 4GB drives....piece of crap ;)

For software RAID, the Linux Kernel software RAID is usually better than the software RAID on your motherboard (yes, software). Otherwise a hardware RAID card from a vendor who supports your distribution is best.

ameoba said:
Onboard controllers aren't worth the trouble; they just do everything in the driver anyways.

Last I looked, the current state of 'support' for them is that the kernel knows how to use drives without corrupting the Windows RAID partitions.

WHAT!!!

I have an onboard "sofware" RAID controller PROMISE PDC20276. I am using kernel: 2.4.26_pre6-gentoo

I have windows and linux on the RAID setup as RAID 0.
I have experienced an performance boost using the RAID in linux and windows.

This is my /etc/fstab

/dev/ataraid/disc0/part2 /boot ext3
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part3 / ext3
/dev/hda3 none swap

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/dvd auto
/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdr auto
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat

/dev/ataraid/disc0/part1 /mnt/w2k ntfs
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part4 /mnt/progs ntfs
/dev/hda1 /mnt/store ntfs
/dev/hda2 /mnt/xport vfat

none /proc proc defaults

As you can see I have windows and linux on the same RAID array. I also have another HD used for backup and storage

I have no data corruption with my windows partition.
Please get your facts straight before giving wrong advice.

If you have and onboard controller and want to have a go then yep go for it. A hardware RAID would be better (faster and no driver needed) but teh onboard mobo RAID chips work very well

Back