RAID 0 VS Raptor

GNNR |AVault|

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry, search is off...

Okay... what would be the best configuration:

1 X Raptor as primary OS drive and a 250GB Maxtor SATA for everything 'slow' (data storage, video editing, non FPS games)

2x Raptor Raid 0 and 250GB Maxtor Sata

I currently run 2x 120GB Seagate SATA in RAID 0... I love the speed but I am hearing that even a single Raptor is essentially as fast, and you don't have the problems of RAID 0 (specifically, if one drive fails you are hosed data wise).

I am leaning towards buying 2 Raptors but if it's as fast or nearly as fast I may just load my OS and my FPS titles (I don't keep many installed, two or three usually at a time) on one and then have a second loaded for swapping out for other duties (essentially a test rig setup too) using an IcyDock with spare tray.

I am not 'against' Raid0, using it now, but is the Raptor nearly as fast as a RAID0 setup like I have now?

I just got my raptor 74gb up and running today, and it destroys my old Raid 0 array (2mb cache, 7200rpm 80gb drives).

Its true about how fast the thing is, and thats with a controller that doesn't support tagged command queueing feature either....

A pair of these in raid would be mind boggling, but a 250 a pop its a little pricey. I will probablly buy a second when the prices drop.

Originally posted by GNNR |AVault|
I shouldn't have a problem with them on an IC7-Max3 should I?

I've got 2 WD740GDs running sata raid 0 on my IC7-G so... I would assume you should be fine. But, assuming has got me in trouble in the past! :D

Back