Radeon 9800 Pro Slowdown?

BoWser

Limp Gawd
I recently ordered this 9800 Pro and I am definatly noticing a increase in image quality from my 8500 LE, but my frame rates seem to be the same if not lower. The only game i noticed a increase in fps is Halo, but testing it in Jedi Academy, Call of Duty, and Battlefield 1942, it seems that the fps is about the same if not slower. I reformated and installed all the latest drivers. Is there anything I am possibly doing wrong?

Originally posted by BoWser
I recently ordered this 9800 Pro and I am definatly noticing a increase in image quality from my 8500 LE, but my frame rates seem to be the same if not lower. The only game i noticed a increase in fps is Halo, but testing it in Jedi Academy, Call of Duty, and Battlefield 1942, it seems that the fps is about the same if not slower. I reformated and installed all the latest drivers. Is there anything I am possibly doing wrong?

What frames are you getting in COD? I'm my setup I never see anything lower then 65 , I'm running the game at 1028x1024 with 4aa and 16af with all the high settings on. This is with my 9800 pro running stock.

In heavy combat, it goes below 40, which is worse then what my 8500 le was.

prehaps my cpu/ram is holding me back? One of my sticks is a 512mb pc2700 while the other is a 256mb pc2100

Argh, i guess add enemy territory to that list too :( I'm thinking about returning the 9800 pro.

with my bba 9800 pro on 2xaa and 8xaf, my fps in CoD drops to exactly half whenever im looking at a wide open space with many trees and during firefights. it seems like a bug in the game to me, see as it doesnt usually fluxuate, it just goes to 42-43 from 85.

Originally posted by BoWser
prehaps my cpu/ram is holding me back? One of my sticks is a 512mb pc2700 while the other is a 256mb pc2100

your ram definately isn't helping, both sticks run at the highest common speed, which in this case is 2100 :(

I'm trying diffrent stuff out, mabye its just a flaw in call of duty's system. I've tried cat 3.7, 3.10 and omega 3.10. The preformance seems to be about the same among them. I have also tried overclocking, which didn't help, and removing my stick of 256 mb ram to see how it would run at 512 pc2700, which didn't help and resulted in stability problems. I don't really get how going from a 8500 le to a 9800 pro hinders my preformance.

I think its about time to start thinking about rebuilding that machine from scratch. It solves so many problems rather then spending your life energy trying to get something to work or fixed.

Heh, I would if i had money but I don't. Its weird though. Halo got a big boost in preformance, but all the quake 3 based games got a decrease.

I think I have just about given up. I'm going to try my best to get a refund on it. Do you guys have any suggestions on what kind of card i should get with the return money? I'm thinking 9600 XT would better suit my system.

Your not going to gain much from a 9800Xt in comparison to a 9800pro, ask anyone around here.

Went I mean rebuild I meant nuke your OS and rebuild it from scratch.

The only game i noticed a increase in fps is Halo

Well using a true dx9 card to play a dx9 game I would hope you saw some improvements over your previous card. I also think that your cpu is not really up to par for you to get the most out of your video card.

COD, BF1942 and Halo are all a bunch of hardware pigs.
Especially if you are playing them with all the eye candy turned on.

Originally posted by Icewindius
Your not going to gain much from a 9800Xt in comparison to a 9800pro, ask anyone around here.

Went I mean rebuild I meant nuke your OS and rebuild it from scratch.

You mean just take all my components apart and put it back together?

Also, I am returning the 9800 pro, but i am looking at diffrent graphics cards that is cheaper. Does anyone have any suggestions of a card that would better suit my system?

Back