RADEON 9600XT Freezing

Well, it's a brand new card made by Hercules. So far I've tried fairly old games (Counter-Strike and Diablo II), both freezed after a couple of seconds.

Did a complete format, twice, didn't help. Tried various sets of drivers, also failed. Updating the BIOS also did not help.

After freezing I must restart. Sometimes at that stage I get a Hardware Monitor error in the BIOS stating that my Chassis fan is running too fast (the numbers are red for like a second...). I have a 350W PSU and I don't think of it as the problem.

Is it a heating problem? Perhaps power? I'm kinda lost here...

does the game freeze, or your entire computer?

my guess is that it is an overheating problem, maybe they forgot to put thermal paste on in the factory, heh

Originally posted by Glottis
does the game freeze, or your entire computer?

my guess is that it is an overheating problem, maybe they forgot to put thermal paste on in the factory, heh
The entire computer.
Sometimes after restarting I get a Hardware Monitor error stating my Chassis Fan is running hot. But after a sec it comes back a decent speed (around 2500 RPM if I'm not mistaken).

Well the VPU Recover thingy didn't help...
Although I found something new. In ASUS Probe it is clearly stated that my CPU fan and my power fan aren'y working (!!!).
So I'm guessin that is the problem...

Also, turning on Fast-writes helps a lot with the 9600. It fixed my crashes in CNC Generals

Originally posted by Mavvy911
Also, turning on Fast-writes helps a lot with the 9600. It fixed my crashes in CNC Generals
Tried Fast Writes both on and off.
That didn't help :(

You probably have a VIA chipset-based motherboard, right? I am having a very similar problem with my system. I can install DX9 and the latest vid drivers, and everything will work, but as soon as I install ANY version of the Hyperion 4-in-1 drivers, it will start to freak out on me like that.

Actually I was having a very similar problem with my 9700 pro on a via chipset motherboard(Dragon Ultra). It turns out the it was the 3.10 catalysts causing the problems, so I bumped the cats. back down to 3.08(the last truely stable build) and everything works like a charm. Its seems ATI might have the fastest cards on the block but their drivers are still Iffy as hell....Ill be sticking to 3.08s for a long time I guess. Hope this helps.

Back