Quick XP question..

jamezzz122

Supreme [H]ardness
I was planning on running an 80GB HD with a 30GB partition for OS, programs, and games and then a 50GB for pictures, movies, songs, etc...

The only time in installed XP was a while back and I don't remember if there was a time during it where I can choose where to put the OS itself...

yes you can choose. it the same screen ,i beleive, that you can partion and format the drives.

dont worry about formating the seconadry drive until after you get windows installed, then you can format it after you get the os running. Because, as i remember there is only an option to choose which parition to install windows to

Yeah, on the screen where you choose to install Windows, you can partition the drive and install Windows on one of the drives. However, only the drive you install Windows too is actually formatted with a file system, the rest is left as an extended partition.

After you install windows, you can use disk management to partition the rest of the empty drive.

Also, I recommend making a smaller Windows partition and installing games on a different partition.

Alright guys...Thanks...

So after I have XP up and running, then I should format the rest of the drive?

You can if you need the storage or you can leave it as is until you need it, really doesn't matter. It can be done at anytime you wish.

I'd say just format when you get into windows. Maybe its just me but formatting with the windows installer takes FOREVER?

Back