Question about RAM Speeds

A Cute Baby Lamb

Limp Gawd
So this is kind of a question about motherboards, but it is mostly a question about RAM. My Motherboard takes pc2100 ram and I want to do some overclocking with it. My CPU seems to be stable but the current pc2100 ram I have seems to not be when I get into some higher overclocking numbers. So what I was thinking of doing is just getting some PC2700 or PC3200 ram to put in there so the ram would be well within its designed speed. I realize tho that unless I am REALLY overclocking my cpu I will actually be underclocking this ram. I have been away from overclocking for a while and I know that you used to be able to run PC133 at PC100 speeds with no problem, and I wanted to make sure I could still do that with this more current ram. Will this work? Is there anything else I should think about?

Thanks.

Great. Now I just have to figure out what kind of ram to get. it is a p4 2.4 (b I think, I got it at the end of 2002) and I have had it up and stable at 2700 but if I go over that it boots fine but then when I try to do something interesting (game, bnechmark) it reboots. so I was thinking I could get pc2700 and that at stock 166 would bring me to 2988 (if the cpu can handle it) and I think I would be happy with that. I would also think it would not be likely I could get much higher than that so at the moment spending the extra on pc3200 does not really seem worth it. But then I keep thinking "What if.....?" I would hate to drop the cash on 2700 then again be limited by ram. It is very unlikely that will happen but I keep thinking..... whatif.....

Anyone have any advice on my situation with 2700 vs 3200?

Thanks.

You don't need much but something that runs tight timings would be good. OCZ pc2700 rev3, mushkin 2-2-2 and corsairs xl pc3200 would all be good choices. You could also go for some kingston valuram or kingmax pc3200 for something a bit less expensive.

Steve

What motherboard do you have? Your overclocking issues could also be an issue with the motherboard not being able to handle the higher FSB.

It is an MSI board, I do not know the exact model off the top of my head. It is a pretty basic board, but it has some good overclocking features built in. I thought that it may not be the ram either, but I need to get some more ram anyway so I figured why not replace it all and get some good stuff.

Back