Question about PVR cards

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
I want to build a HTPC this year, I have most of it planned out, but I can't figure out what to do about a PVR card. I'm looking at the Leadtek Tv2000XP Deluxe, ATI Tv Wonder Pro, Avermedia UltraTV 350, and the Hauppauge WinTv 250. The first three are software based encoders while the WinTv is hardware based. I plan on using an Athlon 1900+ and I was hoping to get something with RCA/ composite inputs so I could use it with my console systems.
My question I guess is whether I'll be okay with the 1900+ and a software based encoder or whether I should spring for the Hauppauge. Why should I choose the Hauppauge over the other ones? Does software/ hardware based make a difference in quality? I don't have much cash to spent so I was thinking about getting either the Leadtek or the ATI cards but I could spring for the Hauppauge if that is the best value over all.

I have been working on the same type of project you are planning on doing. My problem is that I'm using old components and my CPU is a Celereon 400, so I am going with a hardware encoder. I have a Hauppage WinTV Go already. It's an ok card. Works fine, the software works.... Back in the day when I had a Athlon 1.33 OC'ed to 1.54, the CPU was able to encode into Mpeg2 with no problems, so you should be fine with that XP1900. I don't know about the others, but if you choose Hauppage over the rest, your gonna get universal compatibility with almost all software.

I am looking at getting Hauppage or Pinnacle hardware card. I will be the only thing besides a MATX case that I had to buy for this project.

Have you decided on what software your gonna use? For Windows, http://myhtpc.net/ is a free opensource project that is pretty good. Has a EPG, TimeShifting, Music Player, Weather Module, etc.

Gee the thread was moved, I though it would go in General Hardware.
But I haven't decided what Frontend I'm going to use, right now for my main rig I use a "dock" , think of that thing at the bottom of the screen for Mac OSX, and that works great for me BUT I'm thinking either myHTPC or Snapstream (I think that's the name).

Snapstream is real nice. It costs about $100 and has a real nice interface and full features. It will also stream video over your lan or the internet.

Does it play music files?

Why don't you use windows xp media center? It has PVR/DVD/MP3/PICTURE software built in.

Originally posted by [H] - WRX
Why don't you use windows xp media center? It has PVR/DVD/MP3/PICTURE software built in.
Because I have to buy a MCE PC. Don't have the cash to buy a PC but I can build one.

They don't sell it by itself yet? dam, its been on the MSDN dvds for three months.

The capture quallity will be better with a hardware based card or alteast thats what everybody over on the AVS forum says. I have a pvr-250 setting on my desk but I am waiting for a few other things to show up before I hook it up.

Back