Quake 4 performance problems...help needed!!

Hi folks,
I'm a n00b to posting in these parts and have come seeking help. I'm having performance problems with Quake 4 and was wondering if any of you PC gurus can tell me what might be causing it. My main system specs are as follows:

1GB of Corsair Value Select RAM (2x512MB sticks, I think this is the weak link)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 @ 2.0GHZ
eVGA 7800GTX 256MB PCI-E
Asus A8N-SLI SE

And here's a link to my system:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/uk_ultrasli.asp?v=d

Mine has the 500W power supply and the 7800GTX, everything else is the same. The problems I'm experienceing with Quake are as follows:

- If I attempt to run the game in 1280 or 1024 Ultra Quality with eveything except v-sync turned on and AA at 4X, the game stutters intermittently.

- If I hit escape to exit to the menu in Ultra mode, the game crashes.

I would have accepted that my system isn't powerful enough until I read an article on firingsquad detailing a Quake 4 optimization run using the following specs:

PCI-E:
=====
1GB Corsair XMS TWINX DDR400 Dual Channel DDR Memory (I realise this RAM is way ahead of mine)
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (and that this is a faster clock speed, but mine is dual-core god damn it!!)
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT, PCI-e

And the sweet spot for the 6800GT came out at 1280x1024 Ultra Quality with 4xAA. Why can the above system run Quake 4 with those settings and mine can't? Please help.

P.S: I have the dual-core patch installed.

Back