Quake 4 online ..... Anyone play still ???

I got it from hotdeals for $13.16 shipped too and the response about the multiplayer scene is exactly why I didnt buy this right as it came out. When the demo came out the id software 1on1 server was pretty good untill it went down, duffy (art one, not programmer one) even came on from idsoftware and I beat em. ;o)

If I can get a q4 1on1 going every now and again with players that dont suck I will consider my $13 dollars well spent. I still play q3ctf every now and again although I must admit there are a number of players playing q3 much better than I.

AfterAnn said:
So please, don't tell me fast paced game is not nearly dead.

It's not. It's all cyclic. The slower paced games are in the lead right now, but I'm thinking that'll change eventually. There are some people (like me, and plenty of others) who don't like and don't play these newer team based games. I prefer straight up fast paced DM to anything else (though I'm a UT fan, not a quake fan). I like playing the occasional game of CTF or bombing run, but DM is where it's at for me. Of course, I also like the DM in FEAR, which is a little slower, but not much.

I'm thinking saying anything is "dead" or "nearly dead" is just being shortsighted.

wtburnette said:
It's not. It's all cyclic.

I'm thinking saying anything is "dead" or "nearly dead" is just being shortsighted.

Escuse me your honor, what term should i use to describe the health of your love?
Maybe should i say unpopular to the point that almost nobody play?
You prefer this?

There is nothing more shortsighted or morrowminded than a (Fa*nbo*y) like you ;)

I was playing almost weekly, using echelon to find servers.
Since the patch came out, all my old favorite servers aren't up.
Also 90% of public servers will tell you you're missing files and none of them
are setup to serve them. What are the main things you need to have downloaded
to play this game ? Q4max, the quakemas map pack, what am I missing ?

AfterAnn said:
Out of those 68 teams, how many are playing at least 1 game each month?
15 ?

Did you even look at the link I gave? There are 40 teams with a game scheduled for this week.

You say the quake4 dm is not popular because it's not good, how to explain UT2004 is not popular with this awsome DM GAMEPLAY?
(im not sure why you bring "ut2004 never been popular on dm", this have nothing to do with the point. The point is, you say q4 fail because of the gameplay, i say q4 fail because fast paced game is dead)
So again, if you was right, ut2004 should be very popular because the dm gameplay is awsome and nobody can't deny this fact.

DM was never popular in UT2k4. TDM has a strong following, but CTF was usually the top UT gametype for years in UT. TAM is a spruced up version of TDM mixed with Last Man Standing. DM in itself is a boring gametype.

How do you explain there is about 100 players worldwide playing dm,ctf in ut2004 right now?
And maybe 30 playing Q4
And maybe 200 playing Q3

78 teams with minimum 4 players in each for TAM alone in UT2004 (some have over 15 players on the team). This is competitive playing only for one gametype alone, and doesn't even consider the big following UT2004 has in Europe which is as big as in the US. You are also severaly underestimating the number of players for UT2004 and Q3.

THERE is 120 000 guys playing CS right now, And about 30 000 playing BF2 and 10 000 for COD2.

It was a time EVERYBODY was playing fast paced game like Q3.

So please, don't tell me fast paced game is not nearly dead.

There is no denying CS's popularity, and both BF2 and CoD2 are new games with a large population. But those games are actually GOOD. Q4 wasn't.

And UT2004 is actually ahead of CoD2 in numbers of players btw on gamespy. Q3A is right under CoD2 in the #9 spot. You are trying to debate that fast-paced games are dead when the numbers say otherwise, where 2 games which are considered ancient by gaming standards have similar numbers then a game released just a few months ago. If UT2k7 performs to expectations, it will win back most players that have left the UT community with UT2K3 and should compete in numbers with current hot games like Battlefield 2.

AfterAnn said:
Escuse me your honor, what term should i use to describe the health of your love?
Maybe should i say unpopular to the point that almost nobody play?
You prefer this?

There is nothing more shortsighted or morrowminded than a (Fa*nbo*y) like you ;)

Sorry, wrong answer. Yes, I love fast paced FPS games, especially DM, but I'm not a !!!!!! like you're proving yourself to be. I actually am more into RPG's right now then anything else, though I do go to LAN parties once a month for some UT2004/FEAR lovin.

Firebot gave you some excellent info that you seem to be unwilling to recognize. Almost no one playing these games? Not really. Yeah, it seems more are playing the BF2 type games, but I still believe it's cyclic. Give it a year or a few years and I'll bet we see more of the old school multiplayer. The reason there's so many of the BF/BF2 type games and gamers right now is the developers are riding the wave of success from Battlefield. Eventually, people will get sick of this style of multiplayer and want something simpler again.

Firebot said:
Did you even look at the link I gave? There are 40 teams with a game scheduled for this week.

DM was never popular in UT2k4. TDM has a strong following, but CTF was usually the top UT gametype for years in UT. TAM is a spruced up version of TDM mixed with Last Man Standing. DM in itself is a boring gametype.

78 teams with minimum 4 players in each for TAM alone in UT2004 (some have over 15 players on the team). This is competitive playing only for one gametype alone, and doesn't even consider the big following UT2004 has in Europe which is as big as in the US. You are also severaly underestimating the number of players for UT2004 and Q3.

There is no denying CS's popularity, and both BF2 and CoD2 are new games with a large population. But those games are actually GOOD. Q4 wasn't.

And UT2004 is actually ahead of CoD2 in numbers of players btw on gamespy. Q3A is right under CoD2 in the #9 spot. You are trying to debate that fast-paced games are dead when the numbers say otherwise, where 2 games which are considered ancient by gaming standards have similar numbers then a game released just a few months ago. If UT2k7 performs to expectations, it will win back most players that have left the UT community with UT2K3 and should compete in numbers with current hot games like Battlefield 2.

For the twl link,
You tried to show a great list when you know most of these team don't play much in fact.
Now you are not at 70 but at 40, thats a good correction.

What are we speaking about here? We are speaking about fast paced DM,CTF.
Where most of the players come from un ut2004? It come from A BF STYLE game wich is call ONSLAUGHT. 90% of the players in ut2004 are only playing ONSLAUGHT.

And you appear to play with numbers, because i bet you already know THAT GAMESPY INCLUDES BOTS IN THE LISTING.
There is 1300 players playing UT2004 right now, NOT 6469 like gamespy is saying.

While looking at Q3, i must admit it has more players than i tought.
Still, there is about 150 000 players of CS,BF,COD, and other similar game.
And there is about 5000 players of fast paced game like ut/quake.
Im not speaking about how many players are playing in the total, im speaking about how many are playing at the moment, AND this is important.

I was somehow wrong to say fast paced game are dead or even nearly, i think i should say very sick. And i think i should say the only reason that i changed my mind is the numbers of players i just saw in Q3. Wich is nearly 3600.

AfterAnn said:
For the twl link,
You tried to show a great list when you know most of these team don't play much in fact.
Now you are not at 70 but at 40, thats a good correction.

What are we speaking about here? We are speaking about fast paced DM.
Where most of the players come from un ut2004? It come from A BF STYLE game wich is call ONSLAUGHT. 90% of the players in ut2004 are only playing ONSLAUGHT.

And you appear to play with numbers, because i bet you already know THAT GAMESPY INCLUDES BOTS IN THE LISTING.
There is 1300 players playing UT2004 right now, NOT 6469 like gamespy is saying.

While looking at Q3, i must admit it has more players than i tought.

I PLAY UT2004 competitively, I know for a fact that not only are those 40 teams currently playing a match real, but most of those 68 teams are real and active. Onslaught is not the main UT2004 gametype, far from it. The players who did play it (who really aren't UT style players in the first place) all left for BF2. Do you even play UT2004 to know how the community currently is shaped?

You simply can't admit that this isn't a fast-paced 'skilled' players versus slow-paced 'unskilled' players issue, but a crappy game versus good game issue. Q4 was crap and was rightfully panned by reviewers when it came out. Q4's failure doesn't make fast-paced gaming a failure when the last true fast-paced game aside from Q4 came out over 2 years ago.

Firebot said:
I PLAY UT2004 competitively, I know for a fact that not only are those 40 teams currently playing a match real, but most of those 68 teams are real and active. Onslaught is not the main UT2004 gametype, far from it. The players who did play it (who really aren't UT style players in the first place) all left for BF2. Do you even play UT2004 to know how the community currently is shaped?

You simply can't admit that this isn't a fast-paced 'skilled' players versus slow-paced 'unskilled' players issue, but a crappy game versus good game issue.
. Q4's failure doesn't make fast-paced gaming a failure when the last true fast-paced game aside from Q4 came out over 2 years ago.

UT fan like you always use gamespy false statistic to prove they are right.
You knew the gamespy was counting the bot and you came here lying about the numbers.

And you ask me if i am a UT2004 player? Are you kidding me?
I not only playing ut2004, i know that most server are always empty and i know like all my friend that the community is great but way too small. And the major reason everybody is leaving is about the community size.

I bet you can count the numbers of regular team on your hands, but once again you won't admit it.

"You simply can't admit that this isn't a fast-paced 'skilled' players versus slow-paced 'unskilled' players issue, but a crappy game versus good game issue"
No, i really think the major reason is because the game is too hard compare to others.
Any newbie is able to get a lot of kills in CS, not the case in ut2004 or quake.
You can't admit it.

UT2004 is one of the most complete and best game around.
The numbers of players is ridiculous compare to the quality of the game.
Once again, you say it's about how good is a game versus a crappy one but you can't explain why UT2004 is so unpopular.

AfterAnn said:
"You simply can't admit that this isn't a fast-paced 'skilled' players versus slow-paced 'unskilled' players issue, but a crappy game versus good game issue"
No, i really think the major reason is because the game is too hard compare to others.
Any newbie is able to get a lot of kills in CS, not the case in ut2004 or quake.
You can't admit it.

I thought that Carmack had the right idea for Q3. Anyone can pick it up and have a blast playing, but it's hard to master. It's really just like skiing. Very easy learning curve but very difficult to master proper carving technique.

In Q4, this element is gone. To me, it just doesn't seem fun to pick up and play. I thought Q3 had this element very well done and that's why it was so popular.

You really aren't giving CS much credit in skill. The fact that it's more teambased means that you have to work with others to complete an objective. It takes proper communication and strategy while Q4/UT is more on individual performance. Both games require skill to be good, just not in the same mindset that you have.

Mr. Miyagi said:
I thought that Carmack had the right idea for Q3. Anyone can pick it up and have a blast playing, but it's hard to master. It's really just like skiing. Very easy learning curve but very difficult to master proper carving technique.

In Q4, this element is gone. To me, it just doesn't seem fun to pick up and play. I thought Q3 had this element very well done and that's why it was so popular.

You really aren't giving CS much credit in skill. The fact that it's more teambased means that you have to work with others to complete an objective. It takes proper communication and strategy while Q4/UT is more on individual performance. Both games require skill to be good, just not in the same mindset that you have.

Did you read what i said in the other post? I don't think you did, you just came and read the last post of a thread and just random quote me. :(

Once again, an other one say it's Q4 that fail. But how can you explain UT2004 fail too?
UT2004 is well rated everywhere.

AfterAnn said:
Did you read what i said in the other post? I don't think you did, you just came and read the last post of a thread and just random quote me. :(

Nevermind, sorry, I meant to quote Zap about Quake 4 talking about skill while saying what you said was correct. >.<

Once again, an other one say it's Q4 that fail. But how can you explain UT2004 fail too?
UT2004 is well rated everywhere.

I don't think UT2004 is a failure. When it was first released, thousands of people played it. (Again, that was 2 years ago) Even to this day, I can join a server and enjoy it's excellent gameplay. There is so many mods for it, it really is the current best value game on the market.

Another thing that actually swings the market is the game that the CPL uses. It was UT2004, then Doom III and then Painkiller. While still popular, I think Painkiller replaced it in the Deatmatch side. Just my opinion though...

Mr. Miyagi said:
Nevermind, sorry, I meant to quote Zap about Quake 4 talking about skill while saying what you said was correct. >.<

I don't think UT2004 is a failure. When it was first released, thousands of people played it. (Again, that was 2 years ago) Even to this day, I can join a server and enjoy it's excellent gameplay. There is so many mods for it, it really is the current best value game on the market.

Another thing that actually swings the market is the game that the CPL uses. It was UT2004, then Doom III and then Painkiller. While still popular, I think Painkiller replaced it in the Deatmatch side. Just my opinion though...

Just to even up, i don't want to start a cs vs ut debate like !!!!!! always create. Im not saying CS is for noob. And i respect pros in cs community, they are great and very skilled.

Let's start by the cpl thing:
Nobody ever played painkiller mp, it's even worse than ut. I think we can compare the amount of player painkiller had to the amount q4 have, to not say even less.

And WCG used UT2003 and UT2004, im mean WCG and the CPL are something similar.

UT2004 is a game that everybody bought but nobody played, for those who played, they played onslaught, and again this prove what im saying about the DM fast paced thing.

If you listen the developer of UT2007 in the gamespot interview, you can clearly hear him saying exactly what im saying.
"we will try to make the game more easy for newbie"

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/unrealtournament2007/media.html
Unreal Tournament 2007 Developer Interview

Quake4 is decent, it just cant stand next to the holy greatness of the other quakes without feeling less than decent.

Back