PSU for AMD 64 3200+

Trikzy

Limp Gawd
whats up guys,
I ordered a generic case with a "420 watt" psu for 38 bucks because i liked the case.
well my question is what wattage and what brand would you guys recommend?

My system includes the following:
Asus k8v deluxe
Cpu listed above
crappy pci video card (mx440)
two 7200 rpm ide hdd's
two optical drives
three case fans
Mushkin green series(starter memory)

The reason i ask is because, sometimes my computer will just randomly restart, ecspecially when i try to install xp, 2k installs fine. I double checked the ram, the ram is fine and working perfectly. I've updated the bios to the latest revision.

so that leaves me stumped, so now i'm at my last life line of asking here, as to if it could possibly be the generic psu if not...what else may cause problems as such.

It's quite possible and even probable that the el cheapo PSU is causing your problems. What is your budget for PSU?

I've heard the psu is not something you want to skimp on in your system, i dont want a king of all psu's, just one that will supply sufficent(sp?) power to all component.

my budget is prolly no more than ~150

Well for that price, you can get a PC Power and Cooling 425 Turbo Cool Deluxe, which is a very nice supply indeed. For ~$100, you can get an Antec True Power 550w, which is almost as nice as the Turbo Cool, but does not have as tight of regulation. 1% vs 3%
Anything down to an Antec True 430 ~$70 would be good. Next down in quality/regulation would be Fortron Soruce 530w for ~$70. This is a good supply, often "tested" to much past 530w, but it only has a 5% regulation standard. Any of those would do fine, but like you said you don't want to skimp on the PSU

Vertigo Acid said:
you can get a PC Power and Cooling 425 Turbo Cool Deluxe, which is a very nice supply indeed. For ~$100,
..and where would i find this paticular brand?

Thanks a lot man, i was considering the true power line, just didn't know if it was all it was cracked up to be or not. I will probably end up getting the first one you mentioned..i mean the whole intent of my system is semi-top of the line so i wont need to upgrade in a year or so.

...yea i hear ya. I wish i got some sort of comission at CCity...then i'd be making damn good money, seeing as i sold 80grand in pc's last month...the closest person behind me was still 40 grand from me. hmmm at even a skimpy 2 percent that would have been an extra 1600 this month...meh oh well i'll stop rambling now.

Back