Project Pixel Dream... preview pics (56k warning)

d34dly

2[H]4U
My friend and I ventured into Water Cooling this weekend. Luckily it was on his computer.

All in all it has taken us about 36 hours to finish... and it's about 90% done.

He usually hangs out over at the OCForums (he is Pixel) so I thought you guys might enjoy seeing it also.

He has been saving for quite a while, and because of this, we obviously have some very nice parts to work with... Here ya go :D

By the way the case is a black X-Dreamer... Hence the name.

Preview998.jpg

abitboard999.jpg

blocks999.jpg

core999.jpg

cpucblock999.jpg

gpusee999.jpg

package999.jpg

vblock999.jpg

Think you forgot to add some pics, because all I see are unfinished/unmodded parts (other then the radeon)

The VPU block barbs/tubing might get in the way of those ramsinks, although i see the actual sinks are differen than the other one's you're using, so you might already know this :p

I can't really tell how high those blue sinks are, but i had sinks similarly sized to those green ones on my 9500 until today... now i have tiny heatsinks, but they're 'cute' :)

glad to hear/see... i just thought i'd comment so you can check becuase it was a pain for me (i used a custom block though). clearance looks tight, especially if you use quality/thick tubing (e.g. clearflex/tygon)... if you do/are be sure the tubing isn't hindering your block from making contact...

Also, those are some nice pics :)

And props for homemade heatsinks.. i just cut up a few these past few days, it's hard to keep 'em lookin' pretty.

That it is. Yeah the project is pretty much finished. Just thought we'd keep people waiting. :D

tbh you will have a tight fit with the tubing cutting in / touching those sinks... not to sure if that is the best way to have it!

Here is a test fitting of the system... Everything works great... now to get it in the case :D

testfit999.jpg

The camera is a Canon D60 with some other goodies...

camera999.bmp

lightingtest9999.jpg

We were eager to see how well the UV dye worked. Unfortunately the room was very bright so it didn't show up too well. That isn't his computer we are using to test... It's mine!!!

Anyway... more soon! :D

nice lookin setup you got there, although you could have saved some time and effort by no taking off the the GPU shim. The bottom of the Maze4 block fits inside the shim.

oh well... keep us posted with more pics

Haha... that would have been nice to know... oh well, it's our first time...

I like those green ramsinks you got on there...I have the same exact (well, type...if they were the exact ones you wouldn't have them would you??) ones on my vid card.

P233MMX heatsink...meet Mr. Dremel...:eek:

they work dynamite too....I went from a top ram speed of 366 to 377.

Originally posted by Spinal

Unfortunately the room was very bright so it didn't show up too well. That isn't his computer we are using to test... It's mine!!!

I'd hope not because that WC setup would NOT fit in that thing without tearing it to high hell.

man, that thing is gonna look awesome when you get the case window on, it looks awesome on that one pic, just lying there with that flower-ish design. and the lighting looks like it'll add a nice touch

what color will the fluid be dyed?

Originally posted by Carnival Forces
man, that thing is gonna look awesome when you get the case window on, it looks awesome on that one pic, just lying there with that flower-ish design. and the lighting looks like it'll add a nice touch

what color will the fluid be dyed?

The comp in the picture isn't the WC comp, it's mine. We brought it down and used it to see what the UV dye would do. I haven't made a tester PSU yet... too lazy.

Strangley enough it would fit in mine. We are putting the WC in an XDreamer case which has roughly the same demensions as the comp in the picture. When I get home I will post the pics of the cutting we had to do to fit the core in.

On another note it seems we broke the vid card (9800 pro). We bumped a capacitor... oops. Like everyone says... "your not [H] till you break some hardware."

Should be fixable though.

Also there seems to have been a hole on the side of the core. Nothing a little solder couldn't fix. Again, pics when I get home.

Note to those just starting out: PLAN YOUR TUBING!!! It's a pain when you realize a tube is too short or it kinks and you have to unclamp and recut your tubing... pain in my butt. Lesson learned though.

The dye was intended to be a red UV reactive dye... It should have been called "Slighty Homosexual Pink". We should be able to saturate the water with the dye and maybe it will turn out red. Anyone know what kind of effect that could have on the cooling performance?

Thanks for the comments and pics later today... hopefully. :rolleyes:

dimensions of an 86 chevette heatercore dissipating surface is 15cmx15cm, if memory serves.

are you sure the case will accomodate a heatercore of that size?
(i dunno, i really dont like xdreamer cases, tbh)
also, did you measure out your tubing with the parts in the case before you did the test fit? i'm asking cos it looks like it may be a bit short.

also, putting a 90º bend on the intake fitting is a real good way to get cavitation and/or shorten the pump's life, as it forces the pump to do more work to take in water. i mean, the danner mag has plenty of head to overcome this, but its just my 2¢.

just somethings to consider.

good luck!

Originally posted by hardwired
dimensions of an 86 chevette heatercore dissipating surface is 15cmx15cm, if memory serves.

are you sure the case will accomodate a heatercore of that size?
(i dunno, i really dont like xdreamer cases, tbh)
also, did you measure out your tubing with the parts in the case before you did the test fit? i'm asking cos it looks like it may be a bit short.

also, putting a 90º bend on the intake fitting is a real good way to get cavitation and/or shorten the pump's life, as it forces the pump to do more work to take in water. i mean, the danner mag has plenty of head to overcome this, but its just my 2¢.

just somethings to consider.

good luck!

Yeah the tubing from the vid card outtake to the pump was too short. That was fixed after these pictures were taken.

The 90 degree fitting was exchanged for a straight fitting. We realized that one too.

Yeah the core fits in the XDreamer. A little cutting was required but it does fit! It was an ordeal I will admit! But hopefully worth it once we start pushing the machine.

Thanks for the input!

Well the pics will have to wait until tomorrow. Family emergency leaves me at my grandparents house... sorry guys.

Promise pics tomorrow.

Man you are right down the street maybe. My parents live in 75044 and I am just 20 minutes from them. Do you guys LAN at all. I dont know anybody that actually even has a nice computer around me other than myself and was looking to maybe catch a LAN. Thanks. I prefer highlighter juices yellow over homosexual pink myself. But hey, to each his own.

Hey Spinal I used to live in the 75043 zip code I recently just moved to Dallas. Nice stuff by the way.

Back