Project Cars. Rift vs Vive. (Video)

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Here is a video where the commentator discusses Project Cars on the Rift vs The Vive. Seems that both had their pros and cons, but he definitely favored the Vive in the end because it was simply more vibrant to him. He also thinks that the asynchronous time warp feature of the Rift benefited lower spec computers than really fast ones. I thought it was well done and that it may help some make that choice of which to go with in the end.

Vega Time to get that wheel stand and cockpit to go with that (3) 8 pin power GTX 1080. :)

Really LOVING Project Cars right now! The latest patch update really rocks with the Vive. Also works great with the sim chair project I just completed yesterday:

B5GAhyI.jpg

Also have a Rift arriving next week, which to be honest, was really why I built the chair.... for Elite Dangerous. Decided to throw some pedals and wheel into the mix just for grins and now I'm glad I did! I know, no stick shift, but the wheel has paddles at least. I scored a very nice powered leather car seat from a Volvo v70 for just $19 at my local pick-n-pull junk yard and hooked it up to a spare 12V supply I had sitting around and voila, fully built-in seat adjustment - all the seat motors work perfectly! Home Depot for the wood/hardware to frame and mount everything and dropped in a couple AuraSound Pro Bass Shakers and a sub amp from Parts Express for some low end rumble/vibration effects.

Anyway, VR and sims are a match made in heaven!

Last edited:
That is a pretty awesome setup, surprisingly compact for what it offers. I'm sure you can figure out a way to get a gear stick in there somehow, although at least there are paddles. I would really like to try some driving stuff, but my old wheel is in a box in a garage on the other side of the world. So I have to make do with my daily dose of dogfighting around asteroids in Elite.

Love the game with my Rift.. So much better in VR even though the graphics quality is less, much more immersive..

Only problem I got seems to be genetic in nature, the game makes me wanna puke after a minute - the mind is expecting G's but the body says no G's and makes my stomach feel funky.

Hard breaking in a turn still has me turning slightly green and breaking out in a cold sweat... I'm managing to push through this so far, but hoping it gets better over time with some more mind/body VR retraining. The lack of shifting/lateral G's in VR really freaks with you - supposedly Samsung has a set of prototype headphones that stimulates/zaps the inner ear with electricty which greatly reduces the negative effects/queasiness and fools you into thinking that the visually perceived motion relative to your VR simulated environment is real. Sounds freaky, but if it works, I'm game.

Here is Assetto Corsa's online racing component on the Oculus Rift. Thought someone would like it as it is certainly different from the Project Cars video. OEM this is what you need next. ;)

Here is Assetto Corsa's online racing component on the Oculus Rift. Thought someone would like it as it is certainly different from the Project Cars video. OEM this is what you need next. ;)

I thought about going with that vs triple monitors but I was concerned about full technical support from iracing and comfort during a 2 or 4 hour stints.

When we do our endurance racing we do a minimum of two hours (give or take on fuel consumption) and I'm not 100% sure it'd be comfortable that long

I thought about going with that vs triple monitors but I was concerned about full technical support from iracing and comfort during a 2 or 4 hour stints.

When we do our endurance racing we do a minimum of two hours (give or take on fuel consumption) and I'm not 100% sure it'd be comfortable that long

That's very true. It will probably take quite a few revisions of these headsets for them to be comfortable for a long period of time.

Back