Problem with WD 120GB Cavier

So I just got this hard drive a little less than a month ago, because my last one seemingly died. But now, after only 20 days or so...this new one is doing the same thing. I'll be running windows, and I just hear a "plunk" like its powered down, and I can hear the disk spin down...but then I hear it power up again. It freezes windows everytime, and I have to restart...sometimes on the restart it will do this to, while I'm loading windows it will plunk and repower itself again. Is there by chance anything else that could be causing this...or do I simply have another bad hard drive?? Just pisses me off to have 2 go bad like this in a row.

Power seems a likely suspect
or an intermittent data connection

Power sounds possible, I try switching around the different power connections and see if it helps any...I have an Antec true power 430w ps.

Edit: Strangely, I switched my 120 to slave and my old 80 that wasn't working before to master, and just set to boot from my slave...and its working now?? Very weird..should I still try to RMA it?

check to see that the power connectors are doing just that, one of your molex connectors may be shorted out, or simply the female jackets are streached too far out so it doesnt make a good connection... so it may be that what ever you plug in as masster if you use the same molex will not work, (do you have anything elce inline with that like a fan or something?)

also you may want to try your ide cable (worth a shot) just swap it out for another and see what you get

good luck

I had 2 WD 80's with the same problem, I RMA'd both of them. Very annoying. It wasn't the molex connector as I use the same ones with my new drives.

Back