problem: MSI K8N Neo Platinum nForce3 250GB

Cr@zZy

Limp Gawd
Here's the problem I'm having. Everything works great but the onboard sound.

I can't hear any windows sounds. I can play WMA's and mp3's in windows media player only, no other media player will play them. Winamp 5 comes in as static no matter what I play. I can hear the farcry introduction sounds, but no actual sounds when I am in-game play.

Moreover, I am using the logitech z-640 5.1 speakers, and only the rear two speakers and the subwoofer will make noise, even though I have all settings set to 5.1 channel in my sounds properties settings. If I plug in the front into the rear sockets, they will make sound acting as the rear speakers. I have double, triple, and quadruple checked all cables going to the right area on the back of my motherboard. onboard audio is enabled in my BIOS.

I have installed every(updated) driver for the motherboard, and the updated sound driver for the onboard audio.

I am using the Realtek AC97 audio drivers

I have checked every single tab, and option in sounds and divices, nothing is on mute, and all file extentions in winamp are checked to work properly.

I have built 4 systems before, so I am not new to getting drivers/devices working.
Is there something wrong with this boards built in audio??

my new system:

AMD athalon 64 3400+
MSI K8N neo plat nForce 3 250GB
Sapphire ATI Radion x800 pro 256kb graphics
western digital 80GB 7200rpm SCSI HD (8mb buffer)
1 gig of crosair DDR 400 (2x512)
samsung 710n 17' flat panel

thanks.

have you tried the Nvidia nvmixer and drivers instead of the realtek?
This is how I got it to work:

- first un-installed the realteck drivers, rebooted
- I went to my Nvidia folder, I am using 5.03 package, found the folder AudioUtl and run setup
- then I went to add new hardware wizard from control panel (classic view)
- select that you have already connected the device
- choose a new hardware device
- install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advance)
- choose, video and game controllers
- choose "Have Disk"
- browse to the folder AudioDrv select nvmcp
- will give you warnings ok them
- run vnmixer there it's !
- after reboot you will the nvmixer icon on your system tray!
ARe you using the Mic/headsets connection on the front of the case? try disconnecting and set the audio jumpers back to default (page 2-20 on manual)

Back