Possible Raid 0 on P4C800?

kozlowbd

n00b
I have two raptor 36.7 gb hd, I was wondering if it would be possible to setup Raid 0 on my computer? If so would I see any real benefits and would it be difficult to implement? Thanks!

The P4C800 has onboard Serial SATA RAID capabilities, and it can do RAID 0 or RAID 1 (RAID 0+1 possibly as well).

It's not hard, but out of fear of handing out bad advice, I suggest you read about it in your motherboard manual (you can go to www.asus.com to get a copy of it).

The advantages of RAID 0 would be increased data throughput, which would help increase loading. The negative is a doubled chance of drive failure (if one drive in the array goes, the whole array is gone).

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
The P4C800 has onboard Serial SATA RAID capabilities, and it can do RAID 0 or RAID 1 (RAID 0+1 possibly as well).

It's not hard, but out of fear of handing out bad advice, I suggest you read about it in your motherboard manual (you can go to www.asus.com to get a copy of it).

The advantages of RAID 0 would be increased data throughput, which would help increase loading. The negative is a doubled chance of drive failure (if one drive in the array goes, the whole array is gone).

Exactly - the only advantage you'll see is loading windows, loading game maps, etc. Not a big deal - unless maybe you do alot of video editing or something. Seems like a waste of a raptor to me - but if you already have two then go for it.

It will also raise the access times from 30% to 50%.

If you have a power failure during a write to disk you will have a broken stripe most likely. If you live in a area with power problems this will be more of a issue than a drive dieing.

Working with large files is the main reason of Raid 0. If you aren't doing large video files and such. I would pass.

If you do go with Raid 0 backup constantly.

Back