Possible Power Supply Problem? Why is it buzzing like that!?!

iRoNgHosT

2[H]4U
Well, I just bought a POWMAX microATX case for my small asus mobo running a 1 gig celeron. It came with a POWMAX 230 Watt MATX powersupply.

So, when I turn on the computer, it works fine for about a minute, then a loud buzzing noise starts coming out of the PSU, then it turns off, kind of. It starts turning on and off really fast, then slows down, all while making the noise.

What might be the problem?

i'm guessing its a fan that has a sensor, it spins up fast and makes the buzzing sound whenever the PSU is on load or if its hott

You can try grabbing a generic fan to replace it, that might work.. or get some sound dampening materials

it might be some of the capacitors but someone here should know more than me about PSU's

Hell if it doesnt work well and if its still making that noise, I would grab a Sparkle 300W PSU from the egg for only $18.. the rails are spot on too

Originally posted by Darkstar559
it might be some of the capacitors but someone here should know more than me about PSU's

Hell if it doesnt work well and if its still making that noise, I would grab a Sparkle 300W PSU from the egg for only $18.. the rails are spot on too

I need a microATX one though. I don't believe sparkle makes a MATX PSU...

Originally posted by iRoNgHosT
I need a microATX one though. I don't believe sparkle makes a MATX PSU...
they all make microATX power supplies. take a look at newegg's selection go to the PSU section and search for mATX only

It is most likely the PFC unit buzzing away. (assuming it is a PFC PSU)

Otherwise - a buzzing normally implies a transformer is making that sound.

Coils whine, transformers buzz, fans whir. People working in a PSU without knowing what they are doing scream.

The basics of PSU sounds.

At this time I don't know what the problem is other than it sounds like the PSU is bad. RAM the case & PSU. It's the easiest way to go. You got bought something and it doesn't work right, thus send it back and get something that does work right.

One more thing is that it can be arcing I would replace the PSU very quickly. Also it would be a good idea not using the system till you get a new PSU. You may damage your system when the PSU goes.

Back