Portable DVD-R MP3

or_smth

Weaksauce
DVD burners are on the cheap, and I couldn't be more pleased. What's the problem? It's missing a killer app, that could easily desaturate the market for hard drive MP3 players.

Here is my question: Is there currently such thing as a portable "DVD" discman that plays mp3s right off the DVD? I'm currently owning an iPod and loving it, with the exception that I am paranoid while snowboarding for fear of a hard disk head crash (I watch my buffer carefully). If there was a company that made some sort of DVD-R mp3 player I would consider ebaying my iPod. I'm sure, with the exception of very few, that people's entire mp3 collections could be contained on maybe 3-5 DVD-Rs.

And if the product doesn't exist: it should! :p

But there are not any 200gig pluse HDD players on the market.
I would also love a DVD-R based player (if it supported more then just mp3, like flac and ogg would be required). I would not really feel the need to get an HDD based player, if the ones I want never get above 20gigs.
But I do like the small size of the HDD players, like the karma and iHP-120, they are nice and small. Easy to put in a pocket. But ya, the HDD is a little fragile and all, and not the best in every situations. But then that is ture with disk media as well, it still spins and such.

Well, I mean, the average person doesn't have that much music. If you need 188 gigs of music (I'm assuming you did FLAC, Monkey's Audio or WAV), that's cool but no portable player is going to have even close to that capacity anyway. I would encode those to 192 kbit Mp3s for use on a portable anyhow. When 4 DVD-Rs almost exceed the capacity of the average HDD player (20 gigs), what is the point.

Hell, it's pretty sad when one DVD-R has the capacity of the newest iPod (mini). Realistically, there is not much advantage to HDD players when they don't have the capacity advantage.

EDIT: To above poster. If my DVD breaks, I'm out 5 bucks. If my HDD breaks in my iPod I'm out 600.

Originally posted by or_smth

EDIT: To above poster. If my DVD breaks, I'm out 5 bucks. If my HDD breaks in my iPod I'm out 600.

Good point, I was thinking of getting a good size HD player but was also thinking that for me, a DVD audio player would be better suited.

Well the fact i dont even have a desire for a portable music player my opinion is null. Im waiting for a large capacity car mp3 player rather than a small ipod like device.

There is a remote possibility that those portable DVD players can play MP3s from a recordable DVD. The idea sounds intriguing, but I think that such a solution would enjoy limited success at best. People have now been spoiled with small size without the storage compromises that previous small solutions (cassette, Mini-Disc, flash MP3) have faced. I think it'll be hard for at least the wealthier crowd to go back to "big" optical-type portable players.

Originally posted by xonik
There is a remote possibility that those portable DVD players can play MP3s from a recordable DVD. The idea sounds intriguing, but I think that such a solution would enjoy limited success at best. People have now been spoiled with small size without the storage compromises that previous small solutions (cassette, Mini-Disc, flash MP3) have faced. I think it'll be hard for at least the wealthier crowd to go back to "big" optical-type portable players.

Well, I don't know. If you look at the form factor difference between a cassette player and a cd player (try maybe a Sony one) it isn't that huge.

If we really had a problem, mini-DVD-Rs could work. It just seems dumb to me to be putting such a delicate thing such as a hard drive in a portable player, when there is an alternative that is cheaper and more reliable.

Back