Please help - pump gurgling/spurting?

Matrices

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello all,

So I acquired some parts, and have no experience or manuals, just picked up a few (but not nearly enough) things from forums here and there, and my problem is my pump is swishing, or spurting and gurgling.

You cannot really see it, but the water is being sucked through the left and pushed upward, and it is spurting like a fountain a bit - in other words gurgling, like someone left the kitchen faucet on, there are always tiny bubbles at the point where the pump is attached to the T-fitting.

Obviously this isn't supposed to happen. The noise is actually more like water running through normal household plumbing. Any ideas on what the problem is? I turned everything upside down/shook it around, what this does is show some bubbles sometimes, or simply that the entire tubing is not filled with water. But, my T-line's water height is at a constant so no more water is needed.

Also, there is swooshing/sloshing going on in the radiator.

wc1.jpg

wc2.jpg

Air is probably getting in at the Y and the sound you hear is the impeller of the pump choking on the air. See if you can stop the air bubbles from getting in.

That's my guess.

Did you mean the T or the Y? The piece connected to the waterblock. How does one stop air from going on...the T-line of course is open, I thought, to let the bubbles out at the top?

yeah its probalby air bubbles the pump is sucking on. you need to "bleed" the system of these air bubbles. the best way i know is to switch the pump on and off repeatedly, waiting a few seconds each time. eventually you should be able to get rid of most if not all of the air bubbles. helps to plug the pump into a power strip with a switch so you're not constantly pulling out the plug.... gets annoying

RedTalon19 said:
switch the pump on and off repeatedly, waiting a few seconds each time.

This is what I do also. The bubbles will naturally rise up and out of the impeller housing, hopefully to be caught in the piece of hose on the T.

Thanks I'll try the on/off routine. Also, in my setup, the T line intercedes at a point right after the pump is _pushing_ water not pulling it. So in other words, if I pour water in my line, it won't be sucked by the pump until it goes through all the other stuff, but it will be pushed by it. Should I reverse the pump orientation for an easier time?

Also, there is swooshing/sloshing going on in the radiator.

then there is still air in the rad, you have to shake it rotate it in every direction etc to get all the air out... i have the exact same rad... do that for a bit and then run it for like 24 hours that should get out all your air

Well, all that seems to be happening is that bubbles keep coming and going through the tubes. I tap the rad or the WB and more bubbles flow through, but it's not as if the number of bubbles appears to be decreasing, it's just cyclical, even when I rapidly turn the pump on and off. Know what I mean?

I still get the noises, not really of gurgling, but of water being pushed out the pump, and can see the pump desperately throwing water upwards, instead of a constant complete flow. I'll just let it run a few hours I guess as you said.

Also, does it matter that I haven't put on clamps for the WB and rad? They are on their tight, I just don't know if it effects the chance of air getting in the system from unclamped hoses.

at least the towel matches the curtains

air is getting in somewhere, it doesnt really look like the tubes are clamped to the pump

I didn't know it had to be clamped to prevent air, I thought that was just to ensure against a leak. I'll take it apart and do that.

Hey that is not a towel it is a bath rug!

Matrices said:
I didn't know it had to be clamped to prevent air, I thought that was just to ensure against a leak. I'll take it apart and do that.

Hey that is not a towel it is a bath rug!

it might not be the only problem but take it apart anyway, redo and triple check the connections. if waters getting out, airs getting in :)

there is no leaking, though. let's say i removed the wb from the loop, or the radiator, that could isolate what the problem is, right? it seems clear to me that if the pump is still just spraying water with just either of those 2 things in the loop, the pump is messed.

WOW. that was about 1000x times easier with a reservoir...pump sounds fine, no bubbles, in like 5 minutes. now i need to figure out how the heck i am going to mount a quad-floppy reservoir...

Back