please don't flame, but honestly

mjz_5

2[H]4U
what is so good about FarCry? IMHO, it seems to be a typical shooter to me.

the AI is slightly better than in previous shooters, and the graphics are better. I don't think anyone has said it was Revolutionary.

Did you try reading any of the other 6 1/2 threads on far cry to see what they thought about it? I'd be willing to bet in those threads, an answer is hiding.

i didnt think anything was all that great either.. well other than the graphics... the guns/gameplay/story/setting has all been done before basicly the water looks really good, the engine handles alot of vegitation very good and keeps detail at long distances.. i enjoy the sp demo where you start off at the bottom and when you reach the top you can look out at the mountain you climbed and the bay you entered from. Personlaly the gameplay wasnt all that fun to me (similar to SoF II and Delta Force: Black Hawk Down) which is good but not great or new.

Personally the only thing it has going for it is good graphics, they said they tried to make the world look very realistic but also fantasy relistic (like an ideal/perfect tropical setting or jungle etc....)

Honestly, I think the only reason Far Cry is getting so much attention right now is that it came out before Stalker, HL2, or Doom 3. So it is the first game of 2004 with great graphics and lots of bump mapping.

Aside from that the AI is significantly better and the open and completely explorable environments has huge potential in the MP world. Add all that up and it's enough to get excited about. I don't think anyone said its a revelation or the next coming, but it will be a cool game.

Gameplay is really nice too. This isn´t the shooter where you can just rush in and hopefully get out alive as in 95 % of the other shooters. The most revolutionary about the game is the graphics engine much because Far Cry started out as a tech demo.

But to be honest this is the first fps demo that really made me want more. I am quite boored with fps:s so Far Cry is quite refreshing. People say that gameplay is all that matters but that is dead wrong with fps games. Graphics have an immense impact on gameplay too since the reason fps:s gotten so big is that you see everything as you would in real life and thus you want it to look like real life too or better :D

FPS:s live high on the immersion factor.

What I like about it is how wide open it is...

I started the demo 4 times last night, and each time did something totally different.

1) Crept up on that first island and started sniping the guys on the docks
2) Dove in the water, swam under the dock and stole their boat
3) Went right into a different bay and there went ashore
4) went wide left into a 3rd bay

That's just to get on shore. Once on the island, you don't actually have to follow a path, just somehow get to the top.

Take a jeep, follow the paths, go offtrail straight up.

It is just very wide open, which I enjoy.

I still haven't been able to sneak up on anyone and get them with the machete yet, but that's my next goal.

Game is poop.

Nothing fancy at all. Just some sort of pretty graphics.

Other then that..

Voice acting stinks, gameplace is the same as every other game, weapons are boring, vehicle controls are so so.

The other Ubisoft releases of recent months are much better and much more imaginative.. like Price of Persia and Beyond Good & Evil.

On one hand, I like that the environment is huge, but then again, it's too huge with a lot of empty spaces and that can be boring. Physics are fun but we’ve seen it all before. The open-ended way of doing things is nice and the graphics are not too bad. But overall, you are right, I haven't seen anything ground breaking in this game.

The AI is on and off, from smart to very stupid. I also don't like the fact that they can hit you from incredible distances and that it takes quite a bit to bring them down at times. This gets annoying when you are fighting multiple enemies and don't have the luxury to aim for clean headshots.

I would like to say that this game will be fun in multiplayer, but multiplayer has been sucking lately with all the cheaters out there, so I doubt that I’ll buy this game until it hits the bargain bins.

Not a big fan, and personally I think the Unreal II / UT2k3 engine has better graphics and it runs better too. I found the game to be the same as 100 other games and I didn't think the AI was that great.

This is so weird. We have one thread where people really enjoy Far Cry including me, and now all sudden we have one anti Far Cry thread :D

Originally posted by oqvist
This is so weird. We have one thread where people really enjoy Far Cry including me, and now all sudden we have one anti Far Cry thread :D

So when do the two threads fight? We want a flamewar! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Scalpel
So when do the two threads fight? We want a flamewar! :rolleyes:

I guess it will have to wait until we have the full game out to see how good it´s. I have a feeling that it will be a bigger hit than the overhyped Stalker :)

Obviously, this is just my opinion. When I first played the Max Payne 2 demo or the Doom 3 "demo,” I was like WOW. That did not happen with this one. I found the physics in Max Payne 2 to be much better and the graphics is doom 3 is still unmatchable.

Even if I had nothing to compare FryCry to, it still wouldn’t be great.

I don't think it is as great as people make it out to be. With a lot of tuning, the game will feel more realistic and the enemy AI would be a lot more human. Until they fix those two things, I will hold my stance.

Originally posted by mjz_5
Obviously, this is just my opinion. When I first played the Max Payne 2 demo or the Doom 3 "demo,” I was like WOW. That did not happen with this one. I found the physics in Max Payne 2 to be much better and the graphics is doom 3 is still unmatchable.

Even if I had nothing to compare FryCry to, it still wouldn’t be great.

That "doom 3" thing was a type, right? You meant Quake 3, of course.

Originally posted by TrueBuckeye
That "doom 3" thing was a type, right? You meant Quake 3, of course.

No mistake, he is actually talking about the Doom3 (leaked alpha, I would guess), and it is pretty amazing graphically.

Originally posted by NowhereMan
No mistake, he is actually talking about the Doom3 (leaked alpha, I would guess), and it is pretty amazing graphically.

Hehe another banned user Admitting running warez :D

On the contrary, he was obviously refering to the fact that he was one of the few that was able to play Doom 3 Deathmatch in the Doom 3 booth at that one big lan party (forget the name of it)

Originally posted by ]|[ Mar']['in ]|[
On the contrary, he was obviously refering to the fact that he was one of the few that was able to play Doom 3 Deathmatch in the Doom 3 booth at that one big lan party (forget the name of it)

yeah thats it, it was amazing :)

Originally posted by oqvist
Hehe another banned user Admitting running warez :D

Hehe, relax dude, I don't have it but I have seen it. And what I've seen convinced me that Doom 3 will be on my shopping list this year.

That and a new PC.... my Pentium 3 500MHZ wouldn't stand a chance against this puppy. :D

Hehe, relax dude, I don't have it but I have seen it. And what I've seen convinced me that Doom 3 will be on my shopping list this year.

That and a new PC.... my Pentium 3 500MHZ wouldn't stand a chance against this puppy. :D

You seened it and didn´t play it? I admire your integrity ;)

Back