Pixel 8 / Pixel 8 Pro / Pixel 8a

Ok... but when SIM swapping people usually don't have the different phones on their person all the time. That's different than carrying around two phones.

Right now I'm using the S24 Ultra, and my Pixel 8 Pro is sitting at home. I don't actually carry two phones on me at the same time.

One thing that annoys me is the lack of SD Card slot on Pixels. My car only has wired Android Auto. I have to plug an external SSD into the media USB port for my music collection if I want to listen to it, but then I can't plug my phone in for AA to use apps like Waze or Google Maps or what not.

Thanks, but read again what I wrote.
Yeah. Not an ideal solution, but AA Wireless adapter on the media port in your vehicle allows you to connect your phone wirelessly to Android Auto. Your USB C is now freed up on your phone, you can connect OTG storage to the phone, allowing you to play whatever you have connected through Android Auto. Then you have option of wireless charging if necessary.

My car has one media port/AA port, that solution will not work unless it has a pass through USB which doesn't look like it does. Funny thing is my car has a wireless charger built in. I'd rather have the wireless AA lol. 2021 Forte GT2

Edit: I think I know what you're saying now. But don't want that as phone battery drain would be horrible.

Last edited:
One thing that annoys me is the lack of SD Card slot on Pixels. My car only has wired Android Auto. I have to plug an external SSD into the media USB port for my music collection if I want to listen to it, but then I can't plug my phone in for AA to use apps like Waze or Google Maps or what not.
https://www.amazon.com/AAWireless-2022-Wireless-Automatically-Companion/dp/B0B71XC7VG these work great I have 4 of them. It enables you to use a fast usb pd charger to charge the phone instead of the measly 930 milliamps that most cars put to the port.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.amazon.com/AAWireless-2022-Wireless-Automatically-Companion/dp/B0B71XC7VG these work great I have 4 of them. It enables you to use a fast usb pd charger to charge the phone instead of the measly 930 milliamps that most cars put to the port.
I don't understand why these adapters are so expensive when there's much cheaper Android TV streaming sticks or PC wireless adapters. Seems like they should only be half the price for what they are. I don't really care to plug in, so I've been waiting for a sale on one of these and haven't seen any really for the couple years they've been available or for a cheaper adapter to be released.
I wonder if you could use a USB hub on it to plug in your phone and a USB drive.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't understand why these adapters are so expensive when there's much cheaper Android TV streaming sticks or PC wireless adapters. Seems like they should only be half the price for what they are. I don't really care to plug in, so I've been waiting for a sale on one of these and haven't seen any really for the couple years they've been available or for a cheaper adapter to be released.

I wonder if you could use a USB hub on it to plug in your phone and a USB drive.
Do you really need a usb drive when there are 512GB and higher phones available with fast UFS storage?

Do you really need a usb drive when there are 512GB and higher phones available with fast UFS storage?
Yes I do. I don't need a phone with that memory as I'm not a power user phone wise and i always look at the Pixel "a" variants. 128GB is plenty for me, and it's not like I have a choice if looking at a 7a or something...hence my initial complaint about no MicroSD slot.

Yes I do. I don't need a phone with that memory as I'm not a power user phone wise and i always look at the Pixel "a" variants. 128GB is plenty for me, and it's not like I have a choice if looking at a 7a or something...hence my initial complaint about no MicroSD slot.
128GB is plenty for you, but you carry around a portable SSD to plug into your car? Doesn't really check out IMHO.

If you don't want to rely on streaming music from a service (e.g. Spotify, YouTube Music, Apple Music, whatever) you can host your own media library at home and stream it on the go with something like Plexamp (a dedicated music player for Android that connects to Plex instances). There are open source apps like this one too. You should pick a carrier that provides unlimited data and a reliable signal for where you travel; and bonus points if you get it at a reasonable price through an MVNO (Mint Mobile, Visible, Cricket, etc...) rather than get gouged at a tier 1 provider.

I don't carry around an SSD. It stays in my car hooked up to it's media USB port. I have a stream service running at home...for home. I also don't have unlimited plans on my phone. Some people don't need it or want it. Having my kids have phones for emergency use is more important than me having unlimited. Have to live within my means you know and Mint's 5GB plan is perfect for us 4 people. 128GB phone is plenty because I don't live on my phone like others do. Didn't think it was that hard to understand.

128GB is plenty for you, but you carry around a portable SSD to plug into your car? Doesn't really check out IMHO.

If you don't want to rely on streaming music from a service (e.g. Spotify, YouTube Music, Apple Music, whatever) you can host your own media library at home and stream it on the go with something like Plexamp (a dedicated music player for Android that connects to Plex instances). There are open source apps like this one too. You should pick a carrier that provides unlimited data and a reliable signal for where you travel; and bonus points if you get it at a reasonable price through an MVNO (Mint Mobile, Visible, Cricket, etc...) rather than get gouged at a tier 1 provider.
I use Plexamp and Android auto too but most of the flac except the gigantic grateful dead discography is stored locally on the phone too. I do this to save battery and to make it work without cellular. There's plenty of places in AR and other places where cell phones don't work or infrastructure is damaged by the weather. I like having the stuff on as many volumes and disks as I can fit into the one room.

Back