Performance question

codename47

Gawd
How well would two 160gig SATA drives do in RAID 0 set up? Would the performance be good or just so so and not really worth doing...

I edit home movies and am building another system with more space and saw Comp USA had a sale on some 160gig drives and thought I'd ask if it would be worth it.... I'm currently using two raptors which is awesome but I wanted something with a little more realestate ...thanks..

substaintially less than the Raptors
the 160s sound like a nice storage solution , but for performance in a RAID0, thats 320GB at risk,
your capturing\working with files larger than 72GBs?

Well I think it might end up being pretty close and my operating system is on the raptors as well....

I just got back from New Zealand and have over 4 hours of mini DV to capture and sort through... I just wondered how it would perform.. I'm assuming better than regular SATA drives but not as good as Raptors :) nice guess huh... well I don't want it to be doggy but ...??? Also since I have your attention... what would you do for editing video..

Use a P4 2.4C overclocked to around 3 ghz on an 875 chipset OR use an AMD XP2500 overclocked to XP 3200 on a Nforce2 board?
Lets say all other specs are the same as my sig for my current AMD system (I have the P4 system on its way from newegg refurb hayday last Thursday)

I guess a better way to ask that question in storage land is where should I put my raptors? on a P4 or on a AMD XP?

from what I hear, most vid editing really benefits from hyperthreading (and Im an AMD fanboy w\ 2xOpterons :p)

if its a dedicated rig, Id say "thin" the OS install to just the aps required and use the Raptor RAID, alternately deal with the vid in segements

there really isnt currently much of a performance difference between PATA and SATA single drives (barring the higher spindle speed of the Raptors) but there is considerably more data integrity, and some increase in effeciency (and those account for the minor increase in performance)

But with a RAID array, its possible to saturate the PCI bus (133MB/s), since most SATA ports are still attached to the Southbridge, that is a bottleneck, so go with a board that actually offers the 150MB/s burst throughput one with the Intel ICH5R chipset

Read
As the Disk Spins
specifically Speed Matching

Hey thanks for the articles... I found speed matching article very interesting and I'll have to read up on my board I got for the P4 system to see if that will be a problem...

I definitely see your point about a lot of unprotected files... 320gigs of RAID zero is a whole lot of oops if something goes wrong and there is no way to be sure but I like the idea of sata raid over smaller drives that cost more...after rebates I will have gotten 320gigs for 200$ and its SATA which is really impressive. Buying memory and filling it is addictive :)

My editing is going along fine now but I always run into a slow pace snag in studio 8.. it seems after I get to a certain size the wait time to pull up and drag video files is extremely slow. I'm assuming that is studio 8 and not my drives but it does it everytime.. kind of annoying.

As far as being an AMD fan I've always been one but there high end chips are a little too high end for me right now and HT is just really neat for photoshop and editing..

Anyways... I'm stoked about the rest of my gear getting in and building my system.. still don't know what to do... espcially after reading those articles.. any other tips you have spill them my way... thanks

Hey I double checked on my board and I should be fine. I got the GA-8KNXP (Intel 875P Chipset) and it does use the ICH5R chip as well as the silicon image 3112 chip which I hear peforms the best for SATA RAID. I'm pretty stoked about the performance level thanks again for all your help... oh another question...

Isn't the case that even though the output of SATA is 150Mbs that is only a theoretical number and not acutal performance... or will it be with the introduction of the ICH5R? I'm thinking my output is really only like in the 30-50Mbs right? or am I thinking only of the PCI bus limitations (is that the case on my Nforce 2 board with the raptors currently?

Originally posted by codename47
Hey I double checked on my board and I should be fine. I got the GA-8KNXP (Intel 875P Chipset) and it does use the ICH5R chip as well as the silicon image 3112 chip which I hear peforms the best for SATA RAID. I'm pretty stoked about the performance level thanks again for all your help... oh another question...

Isn't the case that even though the output of SATA is 150Mbs that is only a theoretical number and not acutal performance... or will it be with the introduction of the ICH5R? I'm thinking my output is really only like in the 30-50Mbs right? or am I thinking only of the PCI bus limitations (is that the case on my Nforce 2 board with the raptors currently?

Yes, SATA 150MBPs is the upper limit IIRC. You may not hit such speeds, but let Ice have his say.. he's the boss.

Originally posted by TechHead
Yes, SATA 150MBPs is the upper limit IIRC. You may not hit such speeds, but let Ice have his say.. he's the boss.
The 150MB/s limit is per channel... Unlike parallel ATA, S-ATA has only one device per channel and hence that one single device can consume all the bandwidth without worrying anything... On the other hand, no devices P-ATA or S-ATA even approach the 150MB/s limit... The 74GB Raptor is currently the fastest non-SCSI drive in the market and it has peak transfer rates are:

Buffer To Host (Serial ATA) 1,200 Mbits/s (Max)
Buffer To Disk 816 Mbits/s (Max)

That's just under 120MB/s... if the data is already sitting in the buffer!

So if that is the case is my current set up on my Nforce2 board impeading the speed greatly? Is the ICH5R chipset the only one capeable of giving the theoretical throughput yield of the raptor?

Back