PCI Express and AGP

carblow12

Limp Gawd
Will A AGP Bus grahpics Card work with a PCI EXPRESS Bus in the furture? Just wondering.

No, but ATI has made PCI-X video cards for show-and-tell before. I believe they were either 9700 or 9800 pro cards.

SO my 9800 would work with the PCI Express or i would have to buy another video card?

Originally posted by carblow12
SO my 9800 would work with the PCI Express or i would have to buy another video card?
Like Brent said, AGP cards are incompatible with PCI-E(xpress), so you would have to get a new card if the mainboard doesn't support AGP.

Via is suppose to be working on chipsets that support both on the same motherboard.

I have my doubts as to how well it will work out tho. Seems Intel doesn't want to touch AGP + PCI-E on the same board. Is the reason due to hardware constraints or marketing push for the PCI-E?

Originally posted by 0ldman
I have my doubts as to how well it will work out tho. Seems Intel doesn't want to touch AGP + PCI-E on the same board. Is the reason due to hardware constraints or marketing push for the PCI-E?

I don't know but I think its kind of dumb, there's a bloat of AGP cards out there that will be motherless (ok bad pun) if Intel has their way.

PCI-E is better but it still isn't a good enough reason to ditch AGP cold turkey I think.

Intel is still producing boards and chipsets for AGP.
Intel doesn't want to produce boards with both.
AGP will die, but not anytime soon.

Originally posted by killernoodle
No, but ATI has made PCI-X video cards for show-and-tell before. I believe they were either 9700 or 9800 pro cards.
Please do not say PCI-X!
Use either PCI-E or PCI Express, PCI-X is a diffrent type of technology. Don't confuse people!

Originally posted by 3dfx
only fools are confused
y'know it seems you're posting in every thread on the front page without actually contributing to it... half of them you purposely give bad advice.

You know what's remarkable? At this rate ISA will outlast AGP ;)

but... the socket 775 boards using the 915 or 925 chipset will support pci-e, hence no agp. and those are set to debut in the not too distant future, so if you want an (intel) board that will run a p4 faster than 3.4, you're not going to be able to use an agp card.

but... the socket 775 boards using the 915 or 925 chipset will support pci-e, hence no agp. and those are set to debut in the not too distant future, so if you want an (intel) board that will run a p4 faster than 3.4, you're not going to be able to use an agp card.

Considering that Prescott and Tejas just got pushed back farther for Intel to work on, dont' expect that to happy any time soon.

Plus, the recent fact that DDR2 is a 100% price premium in comparison to current DDR which Intel ALSO said they would do, you can pretty sum up that AGP is going no where fast this year.

Originally posted by Icewindius
Considering that Prescott and Tejas just got pushed back farther for Intel to work on, dont' expect that to happy any time soon.

Plus, the recent fact that DDR2 is a 100% price premium in comparison to current DDR which Intel ALSO said they would do, you can pretty sum up that AGP is going no where fast this year.

tejas did, yeah, but not prescott. the news blurb this morning about extending the pipeline is old news.

besides the fact that both the 915 and 925 both support ddr1 or ddr2, so mobo manufacturers can go either way. apparently right now it's looking like the majority of the 915's will be ddr-1, and the majority of the 925's will be ddr-2.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that prescott core p4's will be available retai boxed at best buy this weeked by any means, but it should be soon. and not that prescott will necesarily be any faster than a northwood at the same speed, but holding out for a board with the new socket, which should be compatible with intels mid-high end stuff for quite some time might be worth it. lets just hope intel doesnt pull any more of the bs it did with the 845 line and fsb support (ie 845, 845p, 845pe, and 848 now)

Originally posted by senorpyro
I didn't realize Intel was nuking AGP so quickly.

I guess we won't have any 775 boards with the 865 or 875?

I thought the Prescott was going to be socket 478 until the 3rd or 4th quarter?

Originally posted by Icewindius
No, its going straight to 775.

no, there'll be socket 478 prescotts, there'll be a 533 bus 2.8 with no hyperthreading, 2.8,3.0,3.2, and 3.4 800 bus with hyperthreading. but socket 775 should debut late second quarter, and ALL p4's past 3.4 will be s775 only.

I guess its a good thing I haven't jumped on the P4 bandwagon yet... I hate buying new boards...

I'll hold out upgrading my main system until then.

Back