PC and Unshielded speakers

AH786

Limp Gawd
Is there any danger in having some unshielded hifi speakers 10cm from the pc?

could be, the monitor might get messed up(my friend's monitor is dueto him holding a magnet on it) the harddrive could get messed up, and even the ram i think....this is based on by unshielded you mean that the magnet is not "protected" and it's "powers" leak :)

hmm, ok. never knew bout the ram gettin damaged. guess ill move em 30+cm away, should be fine then.

the Inverse Square Law governs field strength for electromagnetic fields ;)

"Any point source which spreads its influence equally in all directions without a limit to its range will obey the inverse square law. This comes from strictly geometrical considerations. The intensity of the influence at any given radius r is the source strength divided by the area of the sphere. Being strictly geometric in its origin, the inverse square law applies to diverse phenomena. Point sources of gravitational force, electric field, light, sound or radiation obey the inverse square law. It is a subject of continuing debate with a source such as a skunk on top of a flag pole; will it's smell drop off according to the inverse square law? "

Energy twice as far from the source is spread over four times the area, hence one-fourth the intensity

see link for graphic (and scroll up and down)

The only thing of real concern is your monitor, since the image will probably be messed up (assuming you have a CRT). However, hard drives are NOT likely to be damaged by a nonmoving magnetic field. RAM is not even magnetic storage so I don't see how that comes into play. 10 cm is kind of close, but I don't think you'll really have any problems there.

Back