Passworded boot, can i get round this... at all? on a laptop!

Hey all

some guy just phoned me up, hes got an IBM Thinkpad, and the silly bugger has a password on the boot up... but hes forgotten it!!!

basicly, can i get around thi, remove it... or in any way get the password so he can get back into it?

thanks

tell him to contact IBM, usually you can send it in with proof of purchase and they'll reset it.

might have to, but id rather not have it come to that if possible... i wouldnt trust them, they have their money, why should they care too much... last person i know who gave them anything waited quite some time before word was heard!

if you can do that safely, and put it back together, take it apart and look for a cmos battery or something. i remember like 5 years ago the way to reset a laptop's bios was shorting the AC input to itself with a paper clip. (tho, that never caught on)

ibm DOES have wonderfull support, i had to send mine back for a mobo defect, and a few dead pix's on the screen, they paid the 3 way shipping, AND had it back to me within a week. id like to see dell or compaq do that :p

Back