Password manager

Sheril

n00b
Hello!
Could you please recommend a reliable app for storing passwords? Do you use such apps and which ones do you think are the most reliable?

I don't use one. I have 15 passwords that are 13 to 16 characters long with letters, numbers and symbols in my memory. The key is that you don't let the device remember your password. I have to input them every single time and almost everyday.

1Password. I like using it - it's simple and easy. It also has built-in support for 2FA (TOTP especially), so I don't need a secondary app for 2FA as well.

If you do not want to write your password down (because you need them on your mobile) a password app manager is probably the way to go, best way to not repeat them over different account (for regular people attack come from online, not from people having physical access to your computer, the do not write down on a piece of paper your password earlys 2000s talk was a disaster, with people using simple password they reused instead)

Keypass is a free opensource one (and can work on pretty much everything you can manually share an encrypted up to date database file with say dropbox, with really strong encryption) but can be complicated.
Now a day there is list of Microsoft and others that do quite the high security affair and have and not mind using an supported high security device like a modern smarthphone, you can look at:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-use-microsoft-authenticator-as-your-password-manager/

I use nordpass after a really low price long term offer, it work really well, but multi device at the same time is an addon option and you can be logged only at one at the time with the basic

Last edited:
I use an algorithm in my head. It changes to whatever site I'm using, but I punch in the figures in my head, and there's the password.

I use Keepass on PC and Keepass2Android on my phone. I store the database on my google drive to keep it synced between my devices.

1692205908028.png

Not LastPass!

I was maintaining my own server hosting a KeePass database and migrated away from it. Now I'm looking to get a KeePass server going again.

I don't use one. I have 15 passwords that are 13 to 16 characters long with letters, numbers and symbols in my memory. The key is that you don't let the device remember your password. I have to input them every single time and almost everyday.
This is the only correct answer if you want to be totally secure.

I use an algorithm in my head. It changes to whatever site I'm using, but I punch in the figures in my head, and there's the password.
Brilliant! I'm going to try implementing something like this...oh wait--I already do! :D

I've been using Bitwarden ever since LastPass went to shit. Open-source, free for most every feature, and the more advanced ones are only $10/year. You can even self-host a server if you're so inclined.
+1 for Bitwarden

Maybe LastPass if you like living dangerously... Just Google LastPass breach... Although, their mobile app sucks compared to Bitwarden.

After LastPass went to shit, I started to use LastPass. No complaints.
Lol, I assume you meant Bitwarden instead of LastPass twice.

I helped a friend migrate from LastPass to Bitwarden after the articles about data breaches, and I think they only let you sign into 2 or 3 devices on the free tier maybe? But transition went smooth, got Bitwarden setup on her iPhone and computers via browser extension and all is good. IIRC did some kind of CSV/Excel file upload with the URI/website, username, and password. I've personally used it for quite a while now and it's fantastic.

Back